Tuesday, Oct. 1

I endorse everything ‘Diddy’

Bryan Payton is a senior majoring in general studies.

“Take that, take that, take that.” Does this phrase ring a bell? Read on.

This past week, in picking up the latest issue of Esquire magazine, I noticed that, in the spirit of politics, it was their annual endorsement issue.

It made me think about what I endorse. Actually, pretty much everything I write about in my columns are things I ultimately endorse. But every once in a while I will take the time to single out someone or something for its significance in the diverse and complex world of fashion. This week I’m announcing my endorsement of Sean “Diddy” Combs.

One thing I love about Diddy is he’s the same man you made fun in the ’90s, calling him “Shiny Suit Man.” He’s the same guy who used to wear oversized suits to important events (see the opening of his now defunct restaurant, Justin’s). The man who wore a white T-shirt on the red carpet with J.Lo has transformed his style and become the epitome of elegance and trendsetting. Take that.

Diddy’s Sean John line includes casual wear, a high-fashion label, accessories and fragrances. For these fall/winter seasons, the Sean John label has brought out complexity and sophistication with fitted club shirts, tailored suits (the gray sharkskin suit is my favorite), fitting velour jackets, velvet blazers and stylish pea coats. You will also find cleverly tailored wool suits, vests and cotton cardigans with a unique and chic style to them. This December, Diddy will release his second fragrance for men, interestingly called “I Am King.”

Take this. Diddy continues to make moves to improve his fashion empire. Remember Enyce? If not, you haven’t missed much. If you’re like me, you can remember routinely finding the American hip-hop fashion label in local mom-and-pop clothing shops run by a woman named Li (shout-out to AJ’s Locker Room in Fort Wayne).

The line was owned by Liz Claiborne Incorporated and was originally established in 1996. If there’s one thing Enyce is known for, it’s oversized shirts. Once hot in the late ’90s, the line has since dwindled to obscurity.

Leave it to Diddy to save the line. He recently bought the Enyce brand from Liz Claiborne for $20 million and, according to The Wall Street Journal, plans to retool the brand, expand its distribution and take advantage of his connections in the entertainment industry to promote it. We could possibly see the end of Enyce’s baggy jeans, ugly shirts and XXXL hoodies.

No other man in the world of hip-hop matches his style. As a fashion designer, rapper, fragrance creator, vodka marketer, label CEO and ultimate entrepreneur, he transcends what hip-hop fashion is “supposed” to be. With an affinity for tailored, high-quality suits and casual wear that doesn’t look like a thug uniform, he’s a man whom many look up to. That’s why I am for everything he does – even Ciroc Vodka, and I don’t even drink.

This season I encourage you to give Sean John clothing your endorsement by sporting the clothes with swagger if you haven’t already. Not only will you support Diddy, but you’ll look very fashionable as well.