Tuesday, Oct. 1

Indie band Deerhoof to play at Buskirk

Indie band Deerhoof, which began as an art-rock duo in San Francisco in 1994, will perform at 8 p.m. today at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. Tickets are $12.

The way the band produces its music is just as inimitable as the music itself. Rather than having a set rehearsal space, each band member opts to be alone while working through the creative process. Afterward, they bring each piece together. The result is a collection of unique songs.

“Deerhoof is one of those endearing bands that, even when taken at base value, you can’t help but appreciate,” said WIUX Music Director Kelsey McArdle. “At the end of the day, they’re trying to do something different, something fresh and creative, so you can’t fault them for trying to push the boundaries.”

Their music might be hard to define, but Danielle McClelland, director at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, said that is partially why the theater decided to book Deerhoof.

“Bloomington’s unique arts scene means that a large number of the people in town, students and otherwise, have their eyes and ears tuned to acts that are off the beaten path, more interesting or willing to take risks,” McClelland said. “Our specific market is what drives us to book acts like Deerhoof.”

Deerhoof has toured all over the world, including alongside well-known indie acts The Flaming Lips and Radiohead.

The band kicked off its fall tour in early October to promote its latest album, “Offend Maggie.” It is its ninth studio album, as well the first record on which newly added guitarist/multi-instrumentalist Ed Rodriguez has played.

After performing in Bloomington, the band will head north to play a show in Chicago and then will close their tour in Madrid, Spain, on Dec. 13.