Saturday, Oct. 12

Legette-Jack and players ‘excited to start the season’

IU women’s basketball coach Felisha Legette-Jack and her team hope the expression “third time’s a charm” will pay big dividends this year.

With two straight WNIT appearances to her credit and a host of returning talent this season, the Hoosiers are looking to turn the corner to make it to the NCAA Tournament.

On Friday, Hoosier Hysteria will mark the start of that quest.

Legette-Jack will begin her third year as coach of the Hoosier women’s basketball team when they take the floor after the completion of the IU volleyball game Friday night.

For the first time in three years, Legette-Jack will have an intrasquad scrimmage when her team takes the court. In prior Hoosier Hysterias, the Hoosiers didn’t have enough players to play an intrasquad game.

“This is going to be a benefit for us this year since we have more bodies,” Legette-Jack said. “We’re just excited to start the season in front of our colleagues, peers and brothers – the men’s basketball team.”

Players are also ready to kick off the season.

“It means the start of a new season, which is always exciting,” junior point guard Jamie Braun said. “I’m just as excited for our freshmen too, because once you’ve done Hoosier Hysteria that means our season has started and preseason is over. No more 6 and 5 a.m. (practices).”

Sophomore guard Haylie Linn said Friday night being the official start of the season is exciting, but she also recalls past moments that have made this night special.

“I would have to say just running out and seeing all the fans there. It’s just so much energy, so much support for the men’s and women’s team,” Linn said. “It’s just a really great night.”

A new addition to the women’s part of the year’s festivities is a three-point shootout with Linn and Braun competing against B97’s morning crew from Alex’s Playhouse, Alex and Josh.

Legette-Jack is hopeful the event will help get the campus enthused about the upcoming season.

“We are just bringing fun to it and hope to get the community excited about us,” she said.

Four freshmen will be getting their first taste of the rowdy Hoosier fan base. Legette-Jack’s only advice to them has been just to live it.

“I told them just to go through it,” she said. “Their teammates have told them some things to expect. They’re going to find out what being a part of Hoosier Nation is all about.”

This will be Braun’s third Hoosier Hysteria, but she remembers the first time she took the floor.

“I was scared,” she said. “It was too many people. The spotlight was on me, but after it got going and you got back out there, it was like this is what all the hard work during preseason was for.”