Tuesday, Oct. 1

Love sick, love songs

Love. It can make us do crazy things: get tattoos, compromise our morals and say things such as “I love you, pookie bear.”

Now I don’t know about you, but I don’t think I’ve ever called a lover “pookie bear” or “sugar lumpkin.” However, there is one thing I am guilty of doing: picking an extraordinarily embarrassing song to represent my affection for my special someone.

So before you decide to tell someone you’re going “crazy, crazy, crazy just thinking about you, baby,” first you should re-examine your life and buy a Beatles album. Then, dive into the deep ocean of iTunes and find a song that will really express your hormonal rage.

1. “A Natural Woman” by Aretha Franklin: It’s important to let him know he makes you feel alive and natural, kind of like your menstrual cycle.

2. “Signed, Sealed, Delivered I’m Yours” by Stevie Wonder: Nothing says “I love you” like a Stevie scream. 

3. “Wonderful Tonight” by Eric Clapton: It’s possible that your parents have this same love song, but it’s still just as sweet. Besides, who can deny the rusty vocals of good ol’ Clapton?

4. “Everything” by Alanis Morissette: It’s an easy song to overlook because of most males’ inability to understand the true beauty of Morissette. So ignore him and keep singing, baby. A real man will sing it with you.

5. “When I’m Sixty-Four” by the Beatles: Lighten it up a bit and ask: “Will you still need me, will you still feed me when I’m 64?”

6. “I Will Follow You Into The Dark” by Death Cab For Cutie: This song is oddly moving despite its popularity. There is nothing more powerful than a single voice and an acoustic guitar. Close your eyes when you listen to this song. 

7. “Stand By Me” by Ben E. King: Sweep her away with a slow dance under the stars. But watch those hands, mister. You must woo a woman first.

8. “I Believe In A Thing Called Love” by The Darkness: Nothing says I love you better than listening to a grown man singing falsetto in a spandex jump suit. How do you beat lyrics like “my heart’s in overdrive, and you’re behind the steering wheel?”

9. “I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz: It’s easy to fall in love all over again when you and your honey bunches are groovin’ to the strum of the ukulele.

10. “First Day of My Life” by Bright Eyes: Connor Oberst knows how to weaken a woman’s knees: “I think I was blind before I met you.”

Before you start singing “Beautiful Soul” by Jesse McCartney, please take a moment and listen to my suggestions. No one wants to hear, “I don’t want another pretty face.”