Tuesday, Oct. 1

Low economy provides high times for urban art

In a recent article titled “Local arts world wobbles as patrons feel squeeze,” Boston Globe writer Joan Anderman describes the economic perils faced by Boston Symphony Orchestra subscribers who can no longer spend upwards of $100 to see a show.

The article further describes the crisis in which arts patrons can no longer go on weekly theater outings and must now subject themselves to the horrible and depressing task of waiting until the shows are reviewed to decide whether or not to see them, rather than going to opening night.

As an activist art solution, I suggest these Boston residents stop their bitching and use the struggling economy as an opportunity to refocus their artistic palette to something a bit more grounded in reality: urban art.

If the Wall Street government bailout and subsequent erratic behavior of the stock market has showed us anything, it is that what comes from the top shelf of society cannot always be trusted as what is best.

That applies to art, as well.

People might suggest the days are over in which the masses flock to the latest orchestral concert or Tom Stoppard reproduction, but one has to wonder, were those ever really the days?

As always, the current state of art in America is a stratification between classes. The “high arts” of classical music performances on Broadway and visual arts inside a gallery overshadow the more realistic, impressive and socially satisfying arts of graffiti, hip-hop, hard rock, street fashion and other artistic forms that have somehow been overlooked in their contribution to the artistic canon.

In short, the artistic forms that have the upper classes so distraught because of their economic impact on the patron do not represent you and me. If they did, they would simply be made more accessible.

Rather than stress over the fact that we can’t go out and see every movie Hollywood throws at us or see a show from a well-known mainstream musician now that the economy is such a mess, we should use this as a time to honor the reality of street art. Believe me, it is plastered all over Bloomington.

One doesn’t need to be guided toward awe-inspiring graffiti in Bloomington, because chances are, you will stumble upon it on any walking errand downtown.

Subcultural music can be easily accessed through vendors such as Landlocked Music and venues such as Rhino’s and the Art Hospital. And I can assure you I have heard some of the most honest, impressive poetry read by Bloomington’s own at Rachael’s Cafe on Friday nights.

You can’t always trust what you are told, and that goes for formulated, unrepresentative ideas of “high art.”

Let the streets be the canvas you observe and dissect, and I assure you, you will enjoy.