Tuesday, Oct. 1

New show, ‘Sans Merci,’ debuts at Bloomington Playwrights Project

Before the audience, two women boldly stripped off their clothing in a passionate scene between two young college lovers.

The world premiere of the Reva Shiner Award-winning play “Sans Merci” debuted at the Bloomington Playwrights Project with an audience of about a dozen people Thursday night.

The play was written immediately after Johnna Adams, playwright and DePaul University Theatre School graduate, returned from a playwrighting workshop in New York. Within four days, Adams established detail and a balance of humor and drama that could be translated onto the stage.

The story addresses issues surrounding sexual orientation, political views and love and loss. It depicts the love between two women, Kelly, played by Margot Morgan, and Tracy, played by Molly Kruse. During their pursuit of activism, they are brutally raped by Colombian rebels, and while Kelly survives, Tracy is killed.

Years later, Tracy’s mother Elizabeth, played by Francesca Sobrer, travels to Los Angeles in hope of discovering more about her daughter and details of her death.

The entire performance takes place on a single set, the living room of Kelly’s apartment. The room is bland, with a beige armchair and love seat, a chest, a side table and a rug. In contrast, the scenes between the different characters bring life and vibrance to the stage. The audience could focus on the relationships developed without the distractions of an intricate backdrop.

From the opening scene, Elizabeth is both blunt and opinionated, complaining about the rainy weather. As she speaks to Kelly, she folds her fingers firmly in her lap or crosses her legs, as guarded physically as much as she is emotionally. She confronts Kelly about her discovery of her relationship with Tracy.

“What is this? UCI?” Sobrer said. “University of Closeted Individuals?”

The audience laughed.

While Elizabeth is a Republican with strong, steadfast views, Kelly is both an activist and a pacifist, with definite opinions of her own. In flashbacks, the audience was able to see the arch Kelly makes, from a once lively and passionate individual to someone who is simply unable to let go of her grief. It also showed the journey Tracy took from a woman fearful of speaking her mind to a woman who is both brave and honest.

The audience was undeniably satisfied and impressed with the production. Bob Arnove, former president of the board of directors for the Bloomington Playwrights Project, said it was one of the best performances he’s seen in the past seven years.

“The acting was superb,” Arnove said. “It was very gripping.”

Others thought the play could really resonate with a younger crowd.

“It’s important for people, especially young people, to take something from it,” junior Hillary Kern said. “I think college students will get a lot out of it.”