Saturday, Oct. 12

Smaller Hoosiers get ready to face tall task this basketball season

Story, Williams might have to play in post this winter

IU freshman player Nick Williams speaks with reporters during IU Media Day on Wednesday at Assembly Hall.

In most scenarios, people 6-foot-4 to 6-foot-5 are considered tall.

Not the case in college basketball.

The IU men’s basketball team has just three players on the team taller than 6-foot-6, making the Hoosiers an undersized Big Ten basketball team.

By contrast. Purdue has five players taller than 6-foot-6, while Michigan State and Wisconsin have eight. In order to combat teams with taller personnel, freshmen Malik Story and Nick Williams are expected to play some power forward rather than their natural guard positions despite being 6-foot-5 and 6-foot-4, respectively.

Their roles on the team might not be what they expected coming to Bloomington, but IU coach Tom Crean said almost every player entering college goes through a change from what his role in high school was.

Williams said the possibility of getting playing time as a forward wasn’t expected, but he’s still prepared to play there.

“Any role to help the team,” Williams said. “I came in playing guard, and it looks like I got to play the four, but if that’ll help the team I’m willing to do it.”

Playing out of position for a true freshman is a daunting task, but both Story and Williams seem ready for the challenge.

Story, who said he once played against 7-foot NBA player Greg Oden, explained that he grew up playing against bigger people.

“I’m used to it. ... My dad is 6-foot-7, 6-foot-8 so I had to guard him in the post,” Story said.

To guard taller players, Story said the key is to keep his feet moving and to use his quickness to his advantage. Story also mentioned heart and determination as keys that would lead to him successfully defending taller players.

Williams agreed that attitude, along with preparation, will lead to success.

“Being tough with them all the time, don’t let them punk me,” Williams said. “We have a great strength and conditioning coach who’s always making us run and lift weights, getting us ready for bigger and stronger players.”

Along with Williams and Story, freshman Verdell Jones stands at 6-foot-5 and could also see time against bigger forwards. Despite weighing less than Williams and Story, Jones said he could add a different dimension defensively against taller players.

“Use my length, I have a long wing span, I’m wiry,” Jones said. “I might not be stronger than the other guards, but I can use my length to my advantage.”

Jones, like Story, said he has had to guard very physical players in the past that could help him at the collegiate level.

Having a guard attempt to guard a taller forward will create mismatches for IU on defense, but Crean said it also is going to cause problems for the opposing team when the Hoosiers have the ball. Just like Story, Williams and Jones will have to play out of their element, but the players guarding them will too.

“Nick and Malik have to play a four spot, that’s going to be tough defensively but somebody’s still got to come and guard them on the offensive end,” Crean said. “And that’s the kind of mind-set that we want to develop.”