Tuesday, Oct. 1

‘The Wild Party’ keeps the ’20s roaring

The idea of 1920s America typically brings to mind speakeasies, prohibition and flappers. It was a shifting era spinning toward disaster. Fortunately, “The Wild Party,” now playing at the Lee Norvelle Theatre and Drama Center, does not suffer the same fate as the decade the musical portrays.

Adapted from the epic poem by Joseph Moncure March, “The Wild Party” follows the story of vaudeville showgirl Queenie, who has grown tired of Burrs, her abusive boyfriend, and throws a party so she can embarrass him. When her best friend Kate arrives with the alluring Mr. Black, Queenie’s plan goes awry and the party escalades beyond Queenie’s control.

Andrew Lippa’s score properly credits both the Jazz Age and more modern music with a range of sounds, from rasping trombones to gospel fervor and power ballads. The musical calls for energetic dancing and honest delivery – and gets it, too.

Directed by Tony Award nominee George Pinney, IU’s production spares no intimacy for the sake of any virgin viewers; the first number is followed by a brutal but well-executed rape scene, and Act II opens with the ramblings of a prostitute on a cocaine hit. Pinney’s direction manages to involve the audience, although the line is crossed occasionally when the cast members block off the action instead of enhance it.

The actors among the central love rectangle are hit-and-miss, even sturdily backed by a fearless ensemble. Ariel Simpson can belt it out and sashay in heels but isn’t as convincing as Queenie, mimicking vocal tricks from Julia Murney’s original creation. Russell Stout’s straight singing lends to the reserved part of Black but fails to attract attention. Kate, played by Lovlee Carroll, tends to steal scenes with a powerhouse voice and drug-humor antics. Finally, William Angulo is the highest point of the cast with his characterization of Burrs, unhinging inch by inch as the night goes on.

Seamus M. Bourne’s scenic design is appropriately minimalist, and unobtrusive lighting by Sean Michael Smallman highlights Erica Griese’s period-faithful costumes.  
“The Wild Party” is not a perfect musical, but IU’s incarnation provides it with a needed boost. There are enough genuine moments, whether they are humorous, tragic or violent, to keep the attention of a college crowd who would otherwise forego a night at the theater in favor of a party of their own.