Sunday, Oct. 6

Tired and true: ‘Old Man Favre’ needs to go

Remember in seventh grade when your dad was last able to win a game of one-on-one against you?

You know, the over-competitive nature of his post-up, the unnecessary strength used when grabbing a rebound and that extra “oomph” given when blocking your shot over and over again.

Brett Favre is your old man in the NFL right now.

After a couple of poor outings from No. 4, Favre put on a clinic for the ages against the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday. And like your old man huffing and puffing as he checked the ball out to you at the top of the key, Favre’s 289-yard, six-touchdown showing was an uncomfortable return to the good ‘ole days.

Brett the Jet has shown he still can get it done at a high level like he did during his glory days with the Green Bay Packers in the mid-to-late ’90s.

But watching him do it, clad in an age-appropriate 1960 New York Titans jersey, was just flat out bizarre. What else do you need to prove Brett?

I get it. You are one of the three greatest quarterbacks of all time, and your dominance at the pro level is uncanny. But the more the season plays out, the more it seems you are just hanging on to hang on.

He craves the attention ESPN gives him. In turn, I change the channel whenever they mention his name. The iconic quarterback is becoming bigger than the league itself. His intentions were selfish during his summer “retirement,” and they are even more self-serving now.

And like Dad in the driveway, Brett, we get the point ­– and we quit.

You can play. You are older and wiser and craftier than the competition. But it doesn’t erase the fact you are ancient, and your tired act is painful to watch.

Just go away Brett Favre.

Week 4 winners

Larry Johnson, running back, Kansas City Chiefs – 198 yards and two touchdowns made this the first game of the year that LJ was worthy of a start. And it proved that the Denver Broncos are a far cry from any sort of playoff impact.

Lance Moore, wide receiver, New Orleans Saints – With Marques Colston and Jeremy Shockey out with injuries, the jury was out on whether quarterback Drew Brees could keep staggering numbers without two of his top targets. Moore got it done with 101 yards and two touchdowns.

Matt Schaub, quarterback, Houston Texans – Michael Vick’s former backup threw for three scores and 307 yards in a road loss to Jacksonville. It’s hard not to root for down-on-their-luck Houston, who could pull an emotional upset against the Colts on Sunday.