Tuesday, Oct. 1

Alternative media explores sex and politics

Art work portray presidents and sex in a display Monday afternoon at the Kinsey Institute. The exhibit, "Sex and Presidential Politics," will be on display until Jan. 23.

Sex and politics.

While the relationship might not be obvious, the Kinsey Institute’s “Sex and Presidential Politics” exhibit showcases materials that lend a new perspective during this election season.

The exhibit reveals comical and insightful resources from alternative media that normally are not connected with presidents and elections.

The exhibit highlights 40 years of public debate regarding the presidential candidates with about 80 pieces lining the hallway and a small viewing room.

“The goal is to present a historical perspective to a younger generation, to exploit all the factors and sentiments surrounded by politics,” said Liana Zhou, librarian at The Kinsey Institute, who organized the exhibit.

The materials include adult and underground media, such as Playboy, Penthouse, The Advocate, Hustler and Screw. Together, these cartoons, interviews, editorials and articles introduce students and researchers to a sexual view of the elections.

Zhou said all the materials put together had a stronger relationship than she expected.
“It’s surprising to me how the political engagement in the alternative media is so prevalent and consistent,” Zhou said.

Curator Catherine Johnson-Roehr organized some objects for this exhibit. She said there are many different ways to explore the campaign and this is just one of them.
It is a new insight, she said, where you can get a different view of history.

The “Sex and Presidential Politics” exhibit is part of a month-long celebration emphasizing archived material and special collections, presented by the IU libraries. Kinsey’s exhibit opened the Politics and Presidents celebration with a reception where the materials were first viewed.

Additionally, they played the humorous song, “Kinsey for President,” encouraging voters to elect Kinsey.

“People definitely find it very interesting,” Zhou said. “This has become one of the most popular shows.”

Members of the community who have viewed the exhibit agree it’s worth a look.
“I’m glad I’ve finally been able to see what it’s all about,” said senior Diane Grise.

Some of the caricatures and cartoons in the exhibit poke fun at the elections, such as a cartoon in the Penthouse issue of November 1992 where the legs of a man and woman are shown in a voting booth with the caption, “Relax – everyone is nervous the first time. Just hold this handle and pull.”

People often think of the Washington Post or New York Times as having memorable political articles, not Playboy, Zhou said.

Some of the articles in the exhibit that prove the stereotype wrong include a Jimmy Carter interview in the November 1967 issue of Playboy, the headline “Should you Believe in Obama?” from The Advocate issue of September 2008, and the headline “The Real McCain: The candidate likes to cast himself as a Goldwater Conservative. Senator, You’re no Barry Goldwater,” from the September 2008 Playboy issue.
Both Zhou and Johnson-Roehr said they agree the alternative media had an impact on the elections.

The exhibit will be presented through January for scholars to further research the connections between sex and politics and for public viewing so those curious can learn how sex affects elections.

“I hope people will be reflective and broaden their vision in terms of some political struggles,” Zhou said, adding that she hopes people will understand the importance of this exhibit. “It’s a dimension of political sentiment that most people are not aware of.”