Tuesday, Oct. 1

Bishop Allen to perform at Cinemat tonight

Fans of recently released “Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist” might recognize the Brooklyn-based, indie pop outfit Bishop Allen when it performs at The Cinemat tonight.
Bishop Allen recently signed to Bloomington-based record label Dead Oceans. The band will play alongside Electric Owls and An Horse.

Besides being busy on tour, Bishop Allen has been working on the follow-up to its 2007 album, “The Broken String.” This new album – which has been tentatively titled “Grrr...” – will be released March 10. Many of the songs from this album are currently being tested out on the road.

“The audiences have reacted well to the newer songs,” said Justin Rice, lead singer and guitarist of Bishop Allen.

Despite “Grrr...” having somewhat of a different sound than Bishop Allen’s previous albums, audience members have shown a liking for the album. Rice said one of the reasons why audience members have reacted positively to these songs is because music is lively with more percussion. They even feature a marimba.

“It sounds like us when we’re really just having a blast,” Rice said.

Bishop Allen also made a cameo appearance as itself in “Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist,” a film starring Michael Cerra and Kat Dennings. The film features Bishop Allen’s new song “Middle Management.”

Rice and Christian Rudder are at the core of the band, but a rotating cast of musicians frequently supports them. They have never done anything that didn’t involve other people, Rice said in regard to their dynamics. They are currently playing with Darbie Nowatka, Michael Tapper and Keith Poulson.

In January 2006, Bishop Allen began releasing an EP for every month of the year. On the subject of the ambitious goal, Rice commented that the deadline actually made some of the songs better.

Sophomore Brian Slattery, a Bishop Allen enthusiast, felt positive about the endeavor.
“I think their EP project really brought out the best in them in terms of getting a lot of material out there and exploring what they wanted to do,” he said.

This is not the first time the band has performed in Bloomington. In October 2007, they made a stop at the John Waldron Arts Center and played with indie rocker John Vanderslice.

“I thought they were fabulous performers,” said Alison Howard, a senior and concert attendee. “I had never even heard of them at that point, but I bought their album at the show and have been a fan ever since. They have a lot of energy when they perform.”

The Cinemat show will only be one stop among many for the band. Bishop Allen’s fall tour commenced in Washington, and following its gig in Bloomington, the band will play in Gambier, Ohio.

The tour will close in New York.