Saturday, Oct. 12

Exhibitions don’t offer much more a than back-slap

I was sitting in Jimmy John’s some weeks ago when my Blackberry buzzed to let me know I had an e-mail.

Upon opening said electronic message, I read that IU would take on Bemidji State in men’s basketball during the exhibition season, and I quite literally thought, “Seriously? That doesn’t sound like a real school.”

And yet, as often happens when I know I’m right, I was wrong.

Yes, it is true that tonight, Bemidji State will come to Bloomington for the Hoosiers’ last game that doesn’t count until next summer. The Beavers, Division II members of the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference, make their way down from the shores of Lake Bemidji – I can’t make this up – for IU’s last tune-up.

But before you paint your face and put on that ridiculous wig, just remember what you’ll be seeing. Remember these Hoosiers, young and inexperienced, are still learning – learning to operate in new offenses and defenses, learning to trust each other, learning to play college basketball.

The point I’m making is this: These exhibitions, while exciting to fans and massaging to Hoosier nation egos, will tell us next to nothing about what this team will be in December, January and February.

Now don’t get me wrong, early returns for this team are more than favorable.

In their last pit stop, the Hoosiers looked nothing short of brilliant against a squad that appeared several things short of an actual basketball team. Since Friday night, public opinion of Tom Crean’s bunch has changed from “oh crap” to “well, maybe” faster than Kelvin Sampson can check caller ID.

But before we get further carried away by what I imagine will be a very tall win over a team that’s played less than half as many Division I teams ever (14) than IU will play this season, reread this sentence and calm down.

The Beavers bring little but warm bodies to the table tonight. They went 1-11 on the road last year, so that’s that.

Tonight’s visitors will bring in a couple 6-foot-10ers, so Tom Pritchard and Tijan Jobe will have something tall to bang with down low. Beyond that, if the Hoosiers get out into the open floor and defend with the same pressure they did last Friday night, game’s over quick.

But don’t jump screaming into the quarries when their double-digit halftime lead keeps growing: It is not a portent of things heard but yet unseen about this season.

Translation: These exhibition games are nothing more than a glorified open scrimmage against different uniforms.

There are benefits, obviously. Displays such as these are good for fan morale, team confidence and teaching. They flag shortcomings and give players and coaches tape to watch and talk about.

But if you’re looking for more than blog fodder and back-slapping, wait until Saturday.

I’ll see you tomorrow.