Saturday, Oct. 12

Hoosiers look to sweep Wright State again

IU looking to end 4-game loss skid

The IU club ice hockey team looks to snap its four-game losing streak this weekend with two home games against Wright State.

After starting out 6-0, the Hoosiers have been swept by Davenport and Michigan in the past two weekends, respectively. Fortunately for the team, two of its six wins this year came when it swept Wright State last month.

Despite their two victories against the Raiders, they know not to come into any game unprepared.

“You can’t take anyone lightly. We’re going to be working hard in practice this week,” said junior Joe Fornari. “We’re going to give them our best look. We’re not underestimating anyone.”

Part of the team’s preparation for Wright State will be playing the physically aggressive style the Raiders bring to the table.

“In practice, we run aggressive forechecks,” freshman Travis Montembeault said. “You practice getting hit and making quick decisions with the puck if you got a lot of pressure on you.”

Fornari knows play could be even more physical on IU’s ice.

“Basically, since our rink is very small, it increased the chances (of physical play), but I feel that we’re just as physical as them,” he said. “They like to try and get under your skin, but as long as we don’t give in to that and play our game, I’m pretty confident we’ll be able to get the job done. We’re a tough team.”

IU coach Tom Orr is going to tweak the lineup to prepare for the Raiders.

“We’re going to switch our lines up a little this week,” he said. “We’re going to add at least one guy to every line that’s kind of a physical player.”

Orr said the line changes are to counterbalance what his team expects from Wright State. He’s hoping that keeps his team out of trouble.

“We’ll have some more physical players, but we’re hoping their physical style doesn’t put them in the box,” he said. “We anticipate having a lot of power plays if they play like they did last time.”

After five straight road games, the Hoosiers will be welcomed home with the first of seven straight home games this Friday. They say they are happy to be home.

“It’s a welcomed change. I haven’t even dressed for a home game, so I’m ready to do that,” Montembeault said. “(Away games) really start to take a toll on you.”

Fornari was starting to get sick of being on the road, and said he looks forward to returning to the Frank Southern Ice Arena.

“It’s tough every weekend going away and driving five hours on a bus,” he said. “It makes it a lot more of a comfortable situation playing on home ice.”

Orr said he feels the home stretch will be a great way to turn around their recent misfortune.

“That’s exactly what we’re excited about, because we were going up to Michigan every week, and it really wears on the team,” he said. “Now we’re looking for the right push off into semester break. We’re trying to keep our win streak at home going.”