Tuesday, Oct. 1

Illinois folk legend to play at Auditorium

Local following anticipates John Prine show

For nearly 40 years, legendary folk/rock artist John Prine has been touring and releasing music. On Saturday, he will take the stage at the IU Auditorium.

The Maywood, Ill., musician released his first album in 1971 after gaining a big following on the Chicago Folk Revival scene in the late ’60s. In 1991, Prine won a Grammy Award for his album, “The Missing Years.”

Doug Booher, director of the IU Auditorium, said he looks forward to Prine’s appearance.

“He’s one of the most quintessential American folk singers,” he said.

Booher said he thinks the legendary artist will draw a crowd diverse in age.
“He’s got a great, strong following here in Bloomington, both among students and faculty, staff and the community,” he said.

IU alumna Sarah Roberts has seen Prine perform multiple times, the first of which was when she was in high school.

“His concerts always have great energy and a great crowd,” she said. “Everyone is there to have a good time and enjoy the music.”

The Bloomfield, Ind., native said she grew up listening to Prine’s music with her parents, who have been fans for a long time. She has seen him perform everywhere from Nashville, Tenn., to Colorado, but never in Bloomington.

“I’m very excited to see him play in Bloomington,” she said. “I’ll be there with some of my closest friends and family, and it will be in our own backyard. What more could I ask for?”

Senior Thomas Baker has seen Prine play in Indianapolis and Cincinnati. He has been a fan since 2000 and said he enjoys the friendly aura that goes into his shows.

“His concerts I would describe as an intimate gathering of perfect strangers with whom he converses quite readily,” Baker said. “A larger version of hanging out with your friends who can pick guitar like nobody’s business while drinking beer and having a meaningful exchange.”

One of the things Baker said he likes most about Prine’s music is that he can listen to it in virtually any situation.

“I like the fact that I can enjoy his music drunk by myself at 4 a.m. just as easily as I can while driving through the mountains to ski, at a campfire or a friend’s house,” he said. “He touches upon the core elements of the human condition without being emotionally needy or preachy.”

While Baker said he will not be able to attend the concert, he said he enjoys Prine’s songs “Paradise,” “Illegal Smile,” “Sam Stone” and “Souvenirs” the most.

“‘Souvenirs’ is one of the best songs folk music has to offer,” he said. “To be honest, I think he makes very complete albums.”

Booher said he thinks Prine’s show will be perfect for the setting.

“It will be a very strong success artistically and also an opportunity for fans to interact with him in what is a fantastic, intimate setting here at the Auditorium,” he said.