Saturday, Oct. 12

IU looking to tame the Beavers

Tom Pritchard, left, and Daniel Moore wait to enter the game during IU's 103-71 win over Anderson on Friday at Assembly Hall.

The IU men’s basketball team will play one last exhibition game tonight before its first regular-season game Saturday.

The Hoosiers play host to Division II Bemidji State at 7 p.m. and hope to improve in all areas from their first exhibition victory on Friday against Anderson.

Bemidji State, led by coach and IU alumnus Matt Bowen, struggled last season, finishing 6-21 and just 1-11 on the road. The last time the Beavers competed against a Big Ten opponent was in 2006, when they were drubbed by Minnesota 88-32 in an exhibition game.

Despite the 103-71 blowout win against Anderson, IU coach Tom Crean insists his team can, and needs to, progress in many aspects before the regular season. One area Crean is looking for improvement in is the young team’s communication on both ends of the floor.

“We’ve still got to learn that talking – the communication on both ends – is absolutely paramount on both ends,” Crean said.

Crean used 12 different players Friday, shuffling different lineups throughout the game. More of the same can be expected tonight as IU looks to get better at moving the ball offensively.

“There’s not one or two guys that can carry this club – that’s not how we’re built,” Crean said. “So we’ve got to continue to move the basketball, we’ve got to continue to free up the driving lane.”

IU also wants to be sharper defensively, especially in the second half. Junior guard Devan Dumes said allowing 71 points is a “no-no” for the team.

Freshman forward Tom Pritchard said the Hoosiers need to maintain the same energy in both halves. During the second half of Friday’s game, they gave up 42 of Anderson’s 71 points.

“I think (in) the second half, guys started to get a little worn down,” Pritchard said. “Guys had their hands down ... and we just really need to focus on that and pick that up in the second half.”

Tonight might also mark the season debut of senior forward Kyle Taber, who has been unable to play in any of the scrimmages or the first exhibition game because of a knee injury. Crean said he hopes to see his lone senior on the floor against Bemidji State.

“We’ve done some things after practice or before practice with him, but nothing in the form of real basketball contact with him,” Crean said Friday. “But there’s a chance we’ll get going with that a little bit this weekend. I think we’re still trying to target Tuesday night with him.”

Taber might not be the only one making his season debut tonight.

IU baseball player Kipp Schutz, who dressed but did not play Friday, has been in a tryout period with the Hoosiers. If Crean adds the 6-foot-4 Schutz to the team, he could see playing time to prepare for the regular season.

Freshman guard Verdell Jones said with the numerous ongoing walk-on tryouts, the current roster is focusing on players already on the team. But Jones added any new players would be welcomed with open arms.

“We really just focus on the main team right now,” Jones said. “We know that we need more bodies. We know Jeremiah (Rivers) can’t play this year. But I think most of the time we just worry about ourselves.

“But if new guys come along, we’ll just embrace them and let them join our team and try to carry them on, too.”