Saturday, Oct. 12

IU men's swimming posts strong weekend showing at home Hoosierland Invitational

Several Hoosiers swim personal bests at meet

The IU men’s swimming and diving team hosted six other teams for the Hoosierland Invitational this weekend at the Councilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center.

IU welcomed the swimming teams of Cincinnati, Louisville, Pittsburgh and Truman State, while the diving team hosted Cincinnati, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Wright State and IU-Purdue University Indianapolis.

Several Hoosiers posted personal bests and made NCAA B Cuts.

“The men are really starting to come around,” IU coach Ray Looze said in a statement. “Louisville is a good, experienced team, and it has been an even matchup with them. This is a young team, but we have good speed and nice depth. We are still rebuilding, but this has been one of the most fun seasons since I started coaching at IU.”

The 200-yard freestyle relay team of sophomore Ante Zoricic, senior Matt Lenton, junior Bryan Chovanec and sophomore Titus Knight finished in first place with an NCAA B cut at 1:19.95. Knight won the 500-yard freestyle, while freshman Eric Ress finished in second place.

Junior Aaron Opell posted a B cut on his way to a first-place finish in the 400-yard individual medley. Lenton also won the 100-yard butterfly. The team of Knight, Ress, sophomore Cody Weik and freshman Jim Barbiere won the 800-yard freestyle relay in dramatic fashion as they chased down Louisville’s “A” team.

“Going up against a veteran team like Louisville, we had two freshmen and two sophomores out there who really came through for us,” Looze said in a statement. “This is a good step forward for the team.”

The Hoosiers’ next competition is Jan. 10 against Michigan and Tennessee.