Tuesday, Oct. 1

Live From Bloomington CD to benefit food bank

For all who are feeling inspirational, it’s time to finally write the song for that special someone and submit it to the Live From Bloomington Union Board.

The copy of the song doesn’t have to be perfect, said Jordan Bleckner, Live From Bloomington’s committee director. A rough recording will do, and the artists chosen will get studio time to clean up his or her song if necessary.

Every year, Live From Bloomington releases a CD of Bloomington artists, hosts Club Night and runs a food drive. And it’s all for the benefit of the Hoosier Hills Food Bank.
Last year alone, the Live From Bloomington Food Drive collected 9,572 pounds of food, according to the Hoosier Hills Food Bank Web site. During the past 20 years, Live From Bloomington has raised more than $100,000 and 250,000 pounds of food for Hoosier Hills Food Bank, Bleckner said.

About 20 songs will be selected for the Live From Bloomington CD. A selection committee is gathered when the song submissions are due, Bleckner said. A new selection committee is chosen each year and consists of professors in the Jacobs School of Music, famous musicians from around town, Live From Bloomington members and people who know the local music scene. The committee selects a variety of songs and styles to represent the wide diversity of people in Bloomington. 

Rock bands are popular, but there is also room for the virtuoso violinist, Bleckner said. The only requirements are that individuals must live in Bloomington or be an IU-Bloomington student; the piece has to be original and a reasonable length. Some past bands are Alexander the Great, husband&wife, The Giggles and Chairlift, who had their hit song “Bruises” featured in the new iPod nano commercial.

Once the Live From Bloomington CD is sold out, it is out of print, but there might be a few copies of past CDs in music stores in Bloomington.

Senior Bryant Fox, member of Alexander the Great and husband&wife, said he thinks his bands’ music reached a greater number of people than possible because of the Live From Bloomington CD.

“I think the fact that we have been on two consecutive LFBs is a positive thing, as far as our reputation goes,” he said.

Nicole O’ Neal, assistant director of Live From Bloomington, said her favorite bands from the CD are husband&wife, Good Luck, Totally Michael and Prizzy Prizzy Please. 

The new CD will be released in March on Club Night, which is also hosted by Live From Bloomington. Club Night is an event that takes place across Bloomington. All the artists on the CD hold a concert of their own somewhere in town.

“Bloomington has a reputation for being a hotbed of local talent, and Club Night is a chance to see some of the best local acts that we have to offer,” said John Coughlin, member of The Giggles. “Club Night is not only a chance to see some of the more well known names in the Bloomington music scene but also a great opportunity to catch some brand-new acts that are ahead of the curve.”

The cost of admission for Club Night is canned food or the minimal cover cost of the band.

“I think the Live From Bloomington CD is a great thing for both the musicians who play and live in this town, as well as those who need the support of the Hoosier Hills Food Bank,” Fox said.

Submission forms can be found at any local record store and are due Nov. 15. Those submitting songs should be sure to add a lyric sheet and a $10 submission fee to help pay for the production of the song.