Tuesday, Oct. 1

Nothing to wear and no time to shop? Try these options.

Do you ever wake up in the morning to closet full of clothes, yet nothing to wear? I know I do. Maybe I’m just too picky with what I choose or possibly just too indecisive.
Whatever the case, we all have heard the phrase “time is money.” If that were meant literally, I’d be making it rain every morning, as hundreds would be thrown away by the second.

If you’re at all like me, you are looking for an end to this struggle without always having to sacrifice looking at least somewhat fashionable. As I’ve said in previous columns, start with the shoes. Once you’ve picked out what shoes you want to wear, you should match your outfit accordingly.

Not sure what shoes to wear? For more comfort, go with sneakers rather than dress or boat shoes. I like to reach for my Reebok Classics. If it’s raining or gloomy outside, go with a darker color because we all hate it when our white shoes get messed up from stepping in a huge, random puddle outside Ballantine Hall (it happened to me).

Let’s say you’re in a big hurry. Grab a pair of dark jeans. They’ll match better with whatever shirt you pick out. Don’t forget your belt, because no one wants to see your underwear. I know I discouraged you from wearing hoodies earlier this school year, but when you’re pressed for time, reach for a nice one. Don’t go for the same ol’ hoodie each day, or that wrinkled one in the corner.

Wear one you actually care about, and either fold it or hang it up. If you’re seeking a nice, stylish hoodie, choose a long-sleeve knit hoodie by Ralph Lauren. It’s the best-fitting hoodie I own, and the sleeves don’t stretch out easily.

Don’t be afraid to grab a fitted, collared shirt in the morning, either. Too often I see the same “High School Senior” T-shirt or BMOC shirt every day. Not being able to find anything to wear in a closet full of clothes or being pressed for time shouldn’t always be an excuse to wear event or novelty shirts.

If you reach for a blazer to wear over your shirt, collared or regular, make it a dark, fitted one. If oversized, you’ll still look like you just woke up and grabbed something, which is exactly what you did. Don’t show it.

When it comes down to it, simple is better. If you try to get too elaborate and creative while rushing, you’ll risk walking out of the house looking like a fashion disaster.
Remember: simple shoes, dark jeans, fitted shirt or dark hoodie and you’ll be all good.