Tuesday, Oct. 1

Saucy soundtracks: the heart of chick flicks

Chick flicks.

Deep down, everyone loves them. Whether we are willing to confess our true feelings or whether we watch such movies in solitude, these films have found a special place in our hearts.

Who can deny plot lines created in every little girl’s dreams? You can’t help but shed a tear every time you watch one of these flicks.

A good chick flick must consist of three main criteria. First, it must have attractive co-stars. Some are good looking from the first shot while others take an entire 90 minutes to warm up to. Second, chick flicks need a controversy. Every good sappy movie must add a twist to keep lovers apart. And finally, these movies have to have a killer soundtrack.

Whether the songs are purely orchestration or the playlist is filled with pop songs, the soundtrack gives the film a heartbeat.

I have narrowed down a very long list to five movie soundtracks to demonstrate this last point. Here are five films that show how to use a soundtrack.

1. “A Lot Like Love.” From Anna Nalick to The Cure, this soundtrack proves you can live your life through poppy love songs.

2. “Dirty Dancing.” It doesn’t get any better than The Swazye dancing his way into your heart. It’s every teenage girl’s dream to have a hunky older man take her over on the dance floor, especially while he serenades you with “I’ve had the time of my life, and I owe it all to you.”

3. “Notting Hill.” Men, your life might feel very small once a dazzling actress has walked out of your life, but who better to sing your sorrows than Al Green’s “How Can You Mend A Broken Heart?” or Bill Withers’ “Ain’t No Sunshine”?

4. “Love Actually.” Not only does the soundtrack begin with The Beach Boys, it also includes the saucy vocals of the beautiful Otis Redding singing “White Christmas.”

5. “10 Things I Hate About You.” “FNT” by Semisonic plays during the most delightful scene in the film. “I’m surprised that you’ve never been told before, that you’re lovely, and you’re perfect, and that somebody wants you.” With lyrics like that, how can you not be swept off your feet?

So there they are: five examples of sweet soundtracks that will make any girl swoon.