Tuesday, Oct. 1

‘Saved by the Bell’ star to perform at Funny Bone

Dustin Diamond

Almost everyone knows him as Zack Morris’ sidekick from the early ’90s sitcom “Saved by the Bell” or as the contestant who bumped heads with Harvey Walden IV in VH1’s “Celebrity Fit Club.”

But many people do not know that Dustin Diamond, who played Screech on “Saved by the Bell,” has also launched a successful career in stand-up comedy and will be performing this weekend at The Funny Bone comedy club in Bloomington.

Shows will take place at various times Thursday through Sunday.

The Funny Bone, located on the corner of Fourth and Walnut streets, opened this year. Crowds at The Funny Bone are growing every week; its largest weekend so far was two weeks ago when comedian John Evans performed, owner Jared Thompson said. 

“The comedy is very high quality,” Thompson said.

Thompson and his wife were big fans of “Saved by the Bell” growing up and have watched Dustin Diamond’s shows since then. 

“We’re interested in seeing what his stand-up is like,” Thompson said.

Diamond sees stand-up as a “different beast than TV or movies.”

“I like the excitement and energy of it,” Diamond said. “I love the honesty and intimacy between you and the crowd. You live and die by your jokes.”

Diamond draws his material from his surroundings. 

“Life, I think, is funnier than anything you could make up,” he said.

One area Diamond speaks on the most is relationships.

“Unless you’re a hermit, anyone can relate to that,” Diamond said.

People have expectations of someone from a wholesome kids show, Thompson said. Though the actors might try to get away from the whole-hearted image they portrayed, most people will still remember them as the goofy kids on their favorite show.

Thompson said it is nice to see the actors evolve into different things.

Diamond said his appearance on “Celebrity Fit Club” isn’t the most accurate representation because people were behind the scenes giving him ideas on any given show.

“Yes, it’s reality, but it’s reality TV,” he said. “It made an impact because it kept people on the edge of their seats. They’re thinking, ‘Is Screech going to fight?’”

Though he has branched out, it is true many students and fans of “Saved by the Bell” will go to see Diamond make fun of the character he played for more than a decade.
“I’d love to see him come in costume,” said freshman Addy Bryan.

“I find a balance where I bring up (‘Saved by the Bell’) right off the bat,” Diamond said.
Some people are disappointed when Diamond does not talk about his years on the show, while others are disappointed to see him use the show as his entire act. 

“It’s a small part of the act,” Diamond said. “That way nobody feels cheated.”

But don’t expect a PG performance like the one Diamond gave while on “Saved by the Bell,” Thompson said.

“I’ve heard that he has an explosive set,” Thompson said. “From what I understand, he’s very dirty.”