Tuesday, Oct. 1

Warm up with wool, cashmere sweaters

In case you haven’t noticed, winter is upon us. Sure, officially it’s still fall, but with the temperature routinely dipping into the 30s, it’s safe to say a warmer form of clothing is greatly needed.

In times like these, you need something that will not only keep you warm but be fashionable as well. What better way to do that than to embrace two very important – and also my favorite – fabrics: wool and cashmere.

No other fabric gives me that warm and cozy feeling than wool does. I’ve always believed it’s the perfect clothing for the holidays. This fabric that originates from sheep should be a focal point of your winter-clothes shopping. Designers such as Oscar De La Renta, Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger have produced impressive new lines for the
winter cold.
The De La Renta line is perhaps one of the most timeless there is. I own a couple sweaters from last year’s collection, and I love them.
The styles tend to be more old-school with their heavy feel and perpendicular stripes, but they promise to fit to your shape nicely without stretching out too much. The neck of the sweater stays in tact throughout the numerous times you’ll be pulling it over your head this winter.

If the super-preppy look is what you’re going for on these wintry days, then the Ralph Lauren line is for you. These sweaters will bring out the sophistication in any man. Even though it is one of the most expensive lines, it is not hard to find on sale at Macy’s or T.J. Maxx. If you’re the type who can afford it or one who just likes to dream, you have to check out the Ralph Lauren Web site, www.ralphlauren.com.

If there’s one word I’d use to describe this winter line, it’s “special.” The fitted sweaters consist of wool and cashmere turtlenecks, collared shirts, vests, cardigans and zip pullovers. My favorite is the wool polo-player turtleneck, priced at $295.

But you won’t spot me walking around in this sweater unless they suddenly mark it down 75 percent. Opt for the cashmere on sale, and you can’t go wrong with any selection. Wear them with a nice pair of corduroys for the best mix of sophistication, comfort, warmth and trendiness.

If super-preppy is not quite your look, try the Tommy Hilfiger line for sweaters. They have a more college-boy feel than the De La Renta or Ralph Lauren lines. The wool crewnecks are a classy choice for casual days.

On days when you mean business, throw on a Hilfiger cardigan over a pressed button-down. But these cardigans don’t contain the tailored fit of the Ralph Lauren line, so you’ll be able to move a little better and not have the feel that you’re going to a country club luncheon.

Obviously, there are many more options than just these three winter sweater lines from which to choose. Take the time to search around for sweaters that fit you best and are the most timeless. The lines I’ve mentioned are my favorites and, traditionally, have offered up the best lines containing the best style, fit and function while providing ultimate warmth.