Tuesday, Oct. 1

5 surefire ways to improve your style

With the new year drawing closer, it’s time to start thinking about resolutions and new beginnings. If you went through 2008 in a fashionless fog, there’s hope for you in 2009. To help you, I’m spotting you five surefire ways to improve your style for the next 365 days.

1) Find the perfect interview suit
You’re in college now, so it’s time to part ways with that shiny, baby blue suit you wore to your senior prom. I’m sure you’ve explained to your parents how grown-up you are. Well, grown men have jobs (or wish they did in these hard times), and while you might not have thought about your career after college, you should. At some point, you will be interviewing for internships or jobs, and you will need at least one great interview suit.

Whether you’re corporate, creative or casual, you should stick with a dark wool suit. For you Kelley School guys, go with a white shirt and no cuff links. Keep things simple, but feel free to add a white pocket square and make sure you own a pair of polished, leather-soled, black dress shoes to go with it.

If you’re the artsy type, rock the skinny tie with a vest to go under the blazer. It’ll scream creativity. Stick with the dress shoes. The pocket square is optional.

If you’re shooting for a job where the company’s definition of dressy is a pair of Dockers and a polo, still go with the dark wool suit, but wear a polo underneath your blazer. Dress shoes are a little much here, so go with a pair of black loafers.

2) Find a legit barber
I have yet to talk about grooming in my columns, but there’s nothing like a crisp haircut to improve your confidence. Find one that fits you. If you’re black, make sure you find a barbershop where they are skilled in cutting black men’s hair. Otherwise, you’ll be stuck with a terrible lineup.

3) Step your shoe game up
Believe it or not, the first thing people will notice about your outfit is your shoes. See your shoes as your anchor because they help stabilize your outfit. If they’re lackluster, the entire outfit could sink along with them. It is smart to own two pairs of white sneakers. You’ll understand why after you foolishly wear one pair out to the bars only to discover about 12 scuffs on them by the end of the night.

A pair of loafers is key. While they will make you look preppy, they are versatile and work with jeans, khakis or slacks.

A good pair of Oxfords, your traditional dress shoe, is the foundation of a stylish wardrobe. The more polished you keep them, the better.

4) Buy casual shirts that fit
There’s nothing worse than seeing a guy in an overgrown shirt. While I do understand that some of you are sporting beer bellies, there’s still no excuse for baggy clothes.
Wear something dark and you should be fine. If you have a great body, women want to see your shape. Big shirts make you look overweight. And for those of you still trying to look like rappers, that huge COOGI shirt you own just ain’t cutting it.

5) Find your own style guide
This holiday season, ask a loved one for a subscription to GQ magazine. I have one, and it’s the best magazine I’ve ever read. It will help you stay up on the latest trends and keep you fashionably relevant.

Check out www.thesartorialist.com. This blog, created by IU alumnus Scott Schuman, is a photo collection of fashionable people on the streets of New York, Florence, Milan and Paris. Gain great fashion ideas from one of Time magazine’s top 100 design influences.