Tuesday, Oct. 1

Amos Lee to headline Tots concert

After performing last year at Assembly Hall with Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello, Amos Lee is returning to Bloomington.

This time, it’s for a special cause.

Lee, along with The Delta Spirit and The Gabe Dixon Band, will be performing today at The Bluebird for the annual WTTS-FM Toys for Tots Christmas Concert.

This is the third and final charity concert of the season hosted by the Indianapolis rock radio station, and to help with the proceeds, the station is encouraging concertgoers to bring one new, unwrapped gift to the concert.

“We really want to benefit Toys for Tots,” said Johnette Cruz Harvey, promotions director of WTTS. “We want to make sure that people are out there supporting, especially with the economic situation right now.”

Senior Ari Solomon, Bluebird director of promotions, said he remembers the generous gift donations from last year’s concert.

“Almost everyone that I saw brought gifts for the kids,” Solomon said. “I saw one guy last year bring in six or seven toys.”

This year, Solomon said he believes the broad range of music from the three bands will help attract another large audience to benefit Toys for Tots.

“I have found that these artists are liked by a broad percentage of people that enjoyed music,” Solomon said.

Lee, who released his newest album, “Last Days at the Lodge,” in June and whose song “Colors” was featured on episodes of both “Grey’s Anatomy” and “House,” is described as having a musical style that encompasses folk, jazz and soul, according to a recent WTTS press release. The music of both The Gabe Dixon Band and The Delta Spirit differ from Lee’s, leaning toward piano-infused rock and American soul, respectively.

WTTS-FM Toys for Tots Christmas Concert with Amos Lee,
The Delta Spirit and The Gabe Dixon Band
When: Doors open 7 p.m. today
Where: The Bluebird Nightclub
More info: The cost is $15 in advance and $18 the day of the show. Tickets are on sale at The Bluebird box office or online at www.ticketmaster.com. For more information, go to www.wttsfm.com/toysfortots.htm.