Tuesday, Oct. 1

An American turned French returns home

PARIS – How did I get here? I’m at the end of my 16-week stay in Paris, and I can’t believe it’s actually time to leave. I remember seeing for the first time the bedroom that has become part of my temporary home.

It looked so plain and unfamiliar. At the time I thought, “OK, so I’m actually doing this. I’m really going to stay for four months in a foreign country with a foreign language, where I’m away from all my friends and family and living with complete strangers.”

Now I have four days left, and I am trying to make sure I accomplish every activity I haven’t yet. I’ve made a bucket list for myself: see the Picasso exhibit at the Grand Palais, visit the Christmas markets on the Champs-Elysees and try to find a couple gifts I could bring back to the states.

I tried to avoid doing any Christmas shopping here because I don’t think my suitcases, nor my wallet, could handle it, but somehow I’ve subconsciously managed to get something for almost everyone. 

Getting everything done is nearly impossible, considering the incredible amount of work I still have to finish. My biggest fear is leaving Paris, then remembering something I should have done.

I can already tell there will be a lot I’ll miss about this city, and I’m not looking forward to the culture shock I’ll experience when I make the transition back to living with my parents in the states. Just saying that sounds odd; how could I be shocked to go back to living how I’ve been living for the past 21 years of my life? Have I really become that accustomed to the French lifestyle in the past four months?

Maybe I’ll go home and refuse to eat dinner without a fresh baguette. I won’t use the dryer and invest in a drying rack, because, air-drying clothes isn’t that bad. It doesn’t ruin them as quickly, and it’s more environmentally friendly. But if I never have the option of drinking another espresso again, it would be fine with me.

I have a feeling the height of the Christmas season and all the traditions that go along with it will help to ease the pain of culture shock. There’s nothing like the stress of buying the perfect presents and trying to find where you stashed grandma’s lasagna recipe to forget all the wonderful conveniences Paris provides.

Like how easy it was to jump on the metro and explore one of the beautiful museums. Or grab a pain au chocolat from one of the many pastry shops along the way to class if you don’t have time for breakfast in the morning.

The transition to living in Paris wasn’t easy, but I learned to make it my home, and now I’m sad it’s time to leave this city and all the friends I’ve made. Until I come back again, whenever that might be, I’ll always have Paris.