Tuesday, Oct. 1

Around the Arts

Jimmie “JJ” Walker
Where The Funny Bone Comedy Club
When 8 p.m. Thursday, 8 and 10:30 p.m. Friday, and 8 and 10:30 p.m Saturday.
More info Jimmie “JJ” Walker has been a fixture in the American comedy community for more than 35 years. He was Time Magazine’s Comedian of the Decade for the 70s, star of the hit show “Good Times” and now regularly performs for sold-out crowds at the Tropicana in Las Vegas, said Funny Bone owner Jared Thompson. The Funny Bone will bring Walker to Bloomington for the first time this weekend.
“He’s probably the most famous person we’ve had at the club,” Thompson said, calling “Good Times” the past equivalent of “The Office.”
Local comedian Ben Moore will open the shows, followed by 20 minutes of standup by Bear’s Place emcee Brad Wilhelm.
“(Brad’s) pretty much the face of comedy in Bloomington,” Thompson said.
While hosts are usually the winners of the weekly “Last Comic Standing” open mic night, Thompson said he chose openers who would complement Walker.
“He has a very clean act,” Thompson said, adding that audiences can expect storytelling and political satire from the comedian.
Admission is $8 for students and $15 general admission. Thursday’s performance is half price.

Hannis Pannis & Friends
When 7:30 p.m. Saturday
Where The Cinemat, 123 S. Walnut St.
More info The cover is $5. Hannis Pannis, a Chicago-based band, will fuse video, music and performance art in its weekend performance. Ryan Richey and Chris Lin, singers/songwriters/video artists and Art Institute of Chicago MFA graduates, are the group’s frontmen.
Hannis Pannis combines musical instruments such as ukulele, harmonica and chord organ, and choreographs its presentation with videos playing in the background.
“They’re all multimedia artists,” said Kevin Richey, promotions manager for Hannis Pannis. “They do sculpting and painting, all styles of multimedia art and the video work. They’re just multidimensional people and artists, and they grouped it all together.”
Chicago artists Charles Mahaffee, Edward Salem and Alison Rhoades will also have video works in the performance.
“I think their appeal is to a college crowd, especially arts and music students that will appreciate their work,” Richey said. “I don’t think we’ve ever seen anything like it down here.”
For more information about the group, go to www.hannispannis.com.