Tuesday, Oct. 1

Around the Arts

Afro-Cuban Folkloric Percussion Ensemble and the IU Latin Jazz Band
When: 7 p.m. today
Where: Jacobs School of Music, Sweeney Hall (concert hall/classroom in the basement of the main building)
More info: When renowned percussionist Michael Spiro joined the Jacobs School of Music faculty this semester, his Latin music background led him to create a new class: the Afro-Cuban Folkloric Percussion Ensemble. The ensemble and the IU Latin Jazz Band, another of Spiro’s classes, will perform this evening in a free concert that is open to the public.

“Pretend we’re outside in 80-degree weather, not inside in 20-degree weather,” he said with a laugh.

While he said many people don’t think of different drums having distinct personalities, each drum has individual qualities that it is up to the drummer to bring out. And his students are happy to rise to the challenge.

“They have responded amazingly, and I’m so proud of them and excited for them,” Spiro, who is also the director for the evening, said.

The evening will include both religious and secular music, Spiro said, explaining that folklore music tends to center on percussion, vocals and dance. But one thing is certain, Spiro said. The audience will hear musical styles never before performed at IU.

“I’m very excited about it,” Spiro said. “I think people will get a real kick out of it.”

‘Frost/Nixon’ screening
When: 8 p.m. today
Where: Indiana Memorial Union, Whittenberger Auditorium
More info: “Frost/Nixon,” directed by Ron Howard, will premiere in select theaters Friday, but comes to IU for an advance screening tonight at the Union. The screening is free and open to the public. The film details the controversial interview between Richard Nixon and journalist David Frost.

The IU Business Careers in Entertainment Club is host to the screening. The club works with Universal Studios’ Campus U program to screen movies, and Universal chooses which films to show on campus.

“I think its a good choice,” said Jordan Zavaleta, director of the film and TV committee for the IU Business Careers in Entertainment Club. “We have pretty big journalism and political science programs here, so it’s partly why they chose it.”

But the film will appeal to more than just students in these departments, he said.

“It’s going to be an educational but entertaining film,” Zavaleta said. “It will really tell a story about our country’s history that people don’t know so much and kind of the deception that went on in the Nixon administration.”