Saturday, Oct. 12

Club grows due to devoted members

At the time when most students are quieting down for the night, studying for a test or writing a paper, there is a select group whose favorite part of the day is just beginning at the IU Tennis Center.

This group of late-night athletes makes up the IU club tennis team, a program that has been going strong for more than 20 years.

Practicing until 11 p.m. three times a week, these students get their fill of tennis, but don’t be mistaken: They love each second of it.

Club Vice President Neville Batiwalla said it’s the club’s love for the game that keeps the program on its feet and running.

“There has always been a high member turnout,” he said. “Staying involved in the sport is a big advantage (for students here).”

Club tennis has taken on such a role at IU that the team has its own travel squad, just like a University-backed sport.

When asked about how he thinks the program has grown during the last few years, Batiwalla said “exponentially.”

He credits the exposure and experience members receive to high turnouts each year.  
“Sometimes (at tournaments), there will be multiple sponsors there,” Batiwalla said. “(At one tournament) we all got free Chipotle after our matches.”

Even though there are off-the-court perks, the tennis experience cannot be matched.
Freshman Kyle Nisswandt attributes the inclusion and ability to find a player at all levels of tennis to the popularity of the program.

“It’s easy to find someone with your particular skill level, and that in itself has a competitive side to it,” he said.

Senior Treasurer David Triplo also felt the competitive nature of the league brings the ability to make new friends and form memories.

“The competition is really intense,” Triplo said. “It’s a great tennis experience because you get to meet tennis people like you.”

The team, a member of the United States Tennis Association’s Collegiate Club League, plays squads from around the region, including Butler, Ohio State, Dayton, rival Purdue, Illinois and Cincinnati from the beginning of the fall semester to February.

The end of February marks the beginning of postseason play, an area in which the Hoosiers specialize.

Last year, the team was ranked second in the region entering the postseason tournament. However, a run-in with a ranked Wisconsin team for a spot in the national tournament brought IU’s season to a close.

“Last year, they were our biggest rival,” Triplo said. “They had one of the best teams in the Midwest. The tournament was in Wisconsin, so they had some home-field advantage.”

Contrary to what many people might think, club tennis is not run like the average tennis match.

Five sets are considered when scoring takes place. One set of both men’s and women’s singles and doubles is taken, along with a set of mixed doubles. Although players get to experience a variation in strategy due to the different scoring methods, some are not in favor of it. Triplo said the fast pace limits players’ time on the courts.

“A lot of people do not like it because they could be driving four to five hours to play a single set of tennis, if that,” he said.

But the scoring method does not take away from the new relationships formed or the athletic experience.

“You are still traveling and getting to see new schools and meet new people,” Triplo said.