Tuesday, Oct. 1

Hear them ring

Bells are jingling and chestnuts are roasting. That’s right, it’s time for some jolly holiday music. Every store will be playing holiday compilation albums, and Wal-Mart will soon be setting up for Valentine’s Day.

In the meantime, people will be reminiscing with their favorite band’s Christmas album. I know I will. Nat King Cole, James Taylor and Elvis will be playing on repeat in my house until Christmas.

Not to mention one of my all- time favorites, Bright Eyes. A fairly unexpected recording, but I must give kudos to Conor Oberst for his rendition of “Little Drummer Boy.”

Perhaps that’s what’s so great about the holidays: Not only is it a time to join together in Christmas cheer, but anyone (and I mean anyone) can record a Christmas album.

Take the beloved ’N Sync, for example. From “Under My Tree” to “The First Noel,” those five guys know how to sing the holiday blues away.

While ’N Sync cheeses it up, Frank Sinatra, ol’ blue eyes himself, serenades with “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas.”

At the same time, the helium-filled voices of three lovable rodents will blast from the speakers of many young-hearted households. Along with “The Christmas Song,” Alvin and the Chipmunks also sing the classic “All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth.”

There are, as you all might very well know, too many Christmas songs and albums to choose from. Some love to be dazzled by the Mouseketeers-turned-MTV, such as Justin, Britney and Christina, while others enjoy the crooning of James Taylor and Natalie Cole in “Baby, It’s Cold Outside.”

Whatever tickles your fancy, it’s time to sing it loud. And, hey, if Christmas songs aren’t really your thing, remember, there’s always Adam Sandler rejoicing with “The Hanukkah Song.”