Tuesday, Oct. 1

Looking good in ’09

Last week, I gave you five surefire ways to improve your style for the New Year. Well, that was just the first half of my fashion guidance. I’m back with my final fashion column of the semester to give you five more ways to look better in ’09.

In case you missed last week, here are tips one through five: 1. Find the perfect suit. 2. Find a legit barber. 3. Step your shoe game up. 4. Buy casual shirts that fit. 5. Find your own style guide.

And now, to round out the list, I bring you tips six through 10.

6. Embrace your dress clothes.

If you look into your closet and see zero dress shirts or pants, you’re in serious need of an upgrade or two – or five. If there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s seeing people walk around in the same ol’ sweats every day. Do not dress like an athlete, even though that’s what most of us do. Let me be the first to say it in print: It’s not flattering.

Put some thought into getting dressed. Every once in a while, throw on a button-down and a tie. Not feeling the tie? Go with a V-neck sweater over the shirt. Pair it with a slim pair of jeans, slacks or corduroys. You’ll walk taller and speak better, and people will wonder about you. If someone asks you on a Thursday morning why you’re so dressed up, tell them it’s because it’s the day after Wednesday.

7. Find a good tailor or alterations shop.

If you’re a man who’s serious about his clothes, this is a must. Take your favorite dress shirts or suits to a tailor and have them custom-fitted. They’ll not only fit better, but they’ll stick to your body better. I know we all hate baggy dress shirts that seem to always come untucked throughout the day, making you look sloppy.

I’d recommend getting your jeans tailored as well. There’s nothing like a nice pair of jeans that fit and don’t have that scrunchy look at the top when you wear a belt. Slimmer jeans that fit are better. The baggy look is played out and needs to be put on the shelf forever. Besides, men don’t sag, boys do.
8. Take your underwear seriously.

We all want our underwear to be comfortable, so taking time to pick out the best pair is essential. If you’re a boxers guy, I’d stay away from those silk ones your girlfriend likes. They’ll only make you sweaty, so save them for the bedroom. Go for the boxer briefs. Try Hanes ComfortSoft and you’ll never have to worry about your briefs riding up again.

Another key part of underwear is your socks. At times they show, so be creative with them. Go with my favorite: argyle cashmere socks. Bright colors may be dangerous, as they will have people’s eyes fixed on your feet. But I’d wear them anyway. Just don’t let people run into anything.
9. Get a fashionable coat or jacket.

It’s perfectly okay to match your jacket to your clothes. Wearing something dark? Rock a wool pea coat. If you decide on a lighter color for the day, try a warm, tan coat and hat. It’ll only add more sophistication to your overall outfit.
10. Find your own style.

Sure, I’m giving you tips, but I don’t know everything. Find what works best for you, applying my advice where you see fit. I enjoy seeing new styles created by those who pair different clothing ideas together to make one killer outfit.
Wear what’s in, but be creative and step outside the fashion box once in a while.