Saturday, Oct. 12

Pritchard getting ‘star treatment’

Gonzaga coach: ‘He’s going to be a handful for us’

Wake Forest defenders swarm IU's Malik Story as he attempts a shot during IU's 83-58 loss Wednesday night in Winston-Salem, N.C. Wake Forest's defense forced 26 turnovers.

During seven games, IU’s offense has gone through freshman forward Tom Pritchard.
As a result, Pritchard is leading Big Ten freshmen in scoring and rebounding – averaging 14.1 points and 7.6 rebounds per game.

His success has not gone unnoticed.

Gonzaga coach Mark Few, who will get to see Pritchard firsthand Saturday, said the opportunity for him to play right away at Indiana will only continue to make him better down the road.

“We like him a lot. We really like him,” Few said via teleconference. “I like how skilled he is. I like his hands. He’s a smart inside player, which is what we’ve always had in the past.

“He seems like he’s going to be a handful for us on Saturday because of all those aforementioned qualities, and the fact he’s young, I think he’s going to get better and better and better,” Few said.

But with early success has come struggles. Teams adjusted and started to focus their defensive attention on Pritchard to try and neutralize him.

“He’s starting to get the star treatment,” IU coach Tom Crean said. “We saw it out in Maui, and I think we’ll see it from other people.”

This extra attention toward Pritchard was most evident against Wake Forest. The Demon Deacons double teamed Pritchard early and often, resulting in him tallying just four points on 1-for-7 shooting from the field.

Wake Forest threw its plethora of big men at Pritchard. And facing a similarly big, deep Gonzaga team Saturday, Pritchard will need to be a passer first – something he said is one of his strengths.

“I’ve always been a great passer,” Pritchard said after an exhibition game in November. “My high school coach always said I’ve had a great mind for the game; I’m just trying to take it out there and create offense for my teammates.”

But when Pritchard is forced to pass the ball, it means someone else on IU needs to be a consistent scorer. Thus far, the Hoosiers haven’t been able to find one. Against Wake Forest, IU shot just 6-for-19 from behind the arc, and other than freshman Matt Roth, the team hit only 2-of-14 from three.

Crean said when teams double Pritchard and the 3-point shot isn’t falling, there are still other ways for his team to find the basket.

“We’ve got to cut better,” Crean said. “And that’s one thing we didn’t do a good job of (at Wake Forest).”

Crean added the best way to cut to the basket after Pritchard is double teamed is by continuing to swing the ball around to exploit the defense.

“We’ve got to make the next pass,” Crean said. “Out of the trap, it’s usually the second pass that gives you a chance to exploit the defense. If (Pritchard) continues to get double teamed, we’re going to get better at that I believe.”

The Hoosiers take on Gonzaga at 1:30 p.m. Saturday at Lucas Oil Stadium.