Saturday, Oct. 12

Ready for Miami

Hockey fans looking for an intense rivalry are sure to find one at the Frank Southern Ice Arena on Friday night. The IU club hockey team is looking to build off the success of its big win before Thanksgiving break when the team beat Grand Valley State in a high-scoring 7-5 match.

This weekend, the Hoosiers will take on the Miami (Ohio) Redhawks, a team that has a lot of history with IU.

Back during 2001-2002 season, current IU coach Tom Orr was a player on the Hoosier team that season when it faced Miami for the Great Midwest Hockey League championship. Orr scored the game-winning goal, handing the league trophy to the Hoosiers.

“They actually called me the ‘Miami Killer’ that year,” Orr said, “so I have a personal history of going after Miami.”

While a lot can change in seven years, Orr still looks at Miami as a tough challenge.

“They’re probably the best in our region and a traditional rival,” he said. “They got a lot of depth and a lot of speed, and they’re going to create a lot of problems if we’re not ready.”

After the Thanksgiving break, the team will have to pick up the pace in practice.

“We’re going to go ahead and give them the week off, but when they come back, they’re going to have to be ready to skate hard,” he said before break. “We have a pretty tough condition regimen to get them ready for the week.”

Junior Adam Logue also knows the Redhawks will be no pushovers.

“Historically they’re a strong team,” he said. “They’re a team that you come to the rink and you got to put in your best effort or they’re going to beat you bad.”
Speed and puck control are two of Miami’s biggest assets, Logue said.

“They’re fast and they move the puck well,” he said. “All around the rink we’re going to have our feet moving.”

Though the Hoosiers’ record is 10-6, they are only 2-6 in GMHL conference play.

The Redhawks will be the third straight team in-conference IU has faced off against. Junior Joe Fornari said his team will be ready for them.

“They’re always tough. You can’t underestimate anyone,” he said. “They’re a solid team; we just got to play our game and we’ll be fine.”

A pair of wins against Miami could greatly improve the Hoosiers’ record, something that Fornari said he feels will give his team the momentum they need down the stretch.

“It’s still early, but we’re definitely going in the right direction,” he said. “If we can just get the ball rolling and keep it moving, we’ll be fine.”