Tuesday, Oct. 1

Singing loud for all to hear

The Singing Hoosiers perform during the Chimes of Christmas Wednesday evening at the IU Auditorium.

Both young and old, friends and family joined together Wednesday to hear Christmas carols and melodies at “Chimes of Christmas” at the IU Auditorium.

Poinsettias and swag lined the stage while choirs from the Jacobs School of Music, dressed in bow ties and white dresses, brought Christmas cheer.

Before the doors opened, the Trombone Choir directed by Carl Lenthe played for the early arrivals.

The trombonists played carols like “Joy to the World” and other classics.

There were about 2,500 people in the audience, said Doug Booher, director of the IU Auditorium.

The program began with “An English Christmas” performed by the IU Wind Ensemble and conducted by Stephen W. Pratt.

The Singing Hoosiers, conducted by Michael Schwartzkopf, then came in with “Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas,” and “O Come All Ye Faithful.”

The Vocal Jazz Ensemble, directed by Christopher Ludwa, and the Varsity Singers also performed numbers at the show.

The dancing entertained most of the crowd, sophomore Erin Boen said. The show was enjoyable, but it was traditional, too, she said.

After “Jingle Bells,” Santa Claus made a special guest appearance for the crowd.
Boen said the kids in the audience loved it. 

The show followed its tradition since 1997 and performed “Turkey Lurkey Time,” sung by the Singing Hoosiers and the Wind Ensemble.

Schwartzkopf said there are people who will not come to the show unless they hear this song.

“The Singing Hoosiers and Wind Ensemble once again brought the audience to their feet with rousing renditions of holiday favorites,” Booher said in an e-mail.

Toward the end of the show, the Singing Hoosiers led the audience in seasonal carols such as “Hark the Herald Angels Sing,” “Joy to the World” and “Silent Night.”

Booher said “Chimes of Christmas” continues to be an IU holiday institution.

“My favorite part of the show was when it snowed on stage at the very end of the song,” Boen said. “It was really pretty seeing the snow on the stage and on the piano. It was very much a traditional family Christmas feeling.”