Tuesday, Oct. 1

A new year, a new you

Two words: popcorn shirts.

No, don’t worry. Those bubbly, one-size-fits-all blouses from the late 90s are not back in style.

I am sure you remember that so-called “fashion statement,” which had a starting size fit for a doll, yet had limitless stretch.

I’ll admit I was a proud owner of a turquoise popcorn shirt, and I am sure you were, too. Seriously, what were we thinking? Those nightmares made everyone look like they had scales or had contracted some kind of disease.

The real problem here is not 90s fashion. It is the ideology of one-size-fits-all fashion, or more aptly named, one-size-fits-nobody.

In reality, everyone is different. If you want to start the New Year right by looking your best, I suggest dressing for your body type.

Let’s start out with tips for those who are petite. If you are looking for the perfect pant, try a straight-leg cut. This will give the illusion of an elongated leg.  Definitely avoid cropped pants and anything with flare – these cuts will just make your legs look shorter.  If you are more of a dress person, I suggest avoiding lengthiness. Instead, look for dresses and skirts that hit just above or at the knee.

For those of you with extra height, wear clothing that helps to break up your silhouette.  Use belts, ties or other accents and accessories that hit at the waist. Skinny jeans and flats are always a cute look, but don’t avoid heels just because you are tall.

If you find yourself top-heavy, V-necks, turtlenecks and sweetheart necklines are the most important basics in your wardrobe.

These cuts will help draw the eye upward toward the face. Remember, when wearing a V-neck, keep it classy and avoid showing too much cleavage.

If you have a small bust, you can enhance your upper body with fitted blouses or shirts and dresses that have contrasting fabric colors or other fabric detail over the bust. Wrap dresses and empire waists are also a smart alternative.

In general, jackets are always a must in your clothing collection. They add structure and give a more put-together look.

Fitted jackets work best on petite bodies, and cropped or belted jackets work best for those with long torsos. If you have a fuller bust, V-neck jackets are the way to go.

Don’t worry guys, I didn’t forget about you.

If you are a heavier guy, avoid horizontal stripes and bulky, oversized clothing. The stripes only accentuate problem areas, and oversized clothing makes you look, well, oversized.

The best choice in pants is straight leg. You should always stay away from pleats, because pleated pants only add unwanted volume.

Layers are the key if you are a thinner guy. An undershirt or a fitted jacket helps to add depth. Just make sure to avoid vertical stripes, because these will just make you look extra-long. However, horizontal stripes can help to add some bulk, if that is your goal.

For both men and women, fit should always be the most important aspect in clothing selection.

Remember, it is smartest to avoid the fads like popcorn shirts. Some trends come and go, but flattering cuts are always classy.  After all, who wants to walk around looking like a roll of bubble wrap? That was so 90s.