Tuesday, Oct. 1

Do the arts – on the cheap

OFF CAMPUS

The Latest Glaze
When it comes to birthdays and celebrations, money can create a problem for college students. Gifts can be expensive, so why not make a homemade present at The Latest Glaze? The shop has more than 200 ceramic designs to choose from.

Freshman Elizabeth Kackowski, who frequents The Latest Glaze, said it is special to create a gift for someone.

“You are taking time out of your day so you can tell them how special they are and that you cherish them,” she said.

More info: Call Latest Glaze at 335-8711.

Boxcar Books and Community Center

Boxcar Books provides new and used books, magazines and other print media, and it sponsors many fun and inexpensive events. It was host to  The Tranny Roadshow earlier this month and is having its Seven-Year Anniversary Dessert Party at 6 p.m.

Feb. 7. There will be vegan and non-vegan refreshments, door prizes and music. The party is free and open to everyone, and Boxcar will also be offering a 20 percent off sale.

More info: www.boxcarbooks.org

Five Buck Club

Going to the movies is a costly activities. Ticket prices are almost always on the rise, and after adding concessions, the whole event becomes quite expensive. However, Kerasotes Movie Theatres offer memberships for the Five Buck Club. Signing up is free, and when new members get the card in the mail, they can see movies that have been out for at least two weeks for only $5.

More info: https://www.fivebuckclub.net

FINE & MUSICAL ARTS

Theater Events
The IU Department of Theatre and Drama offers rush tickets for students who buy them the same day as the show with a valid student ID. Normal ticket prices are $20, but student rush tickets are $12. This offers students the opportunity to see a show without draining their wallets. The next show is “Stop Kiss,” running Feb. 6, 7, and 10-14 in the Wells-Metz Theatre.

More info: www.indiana.edu/~thtr/

SoFA Gallery

The SoFA Gallery often showcases both student and professional artwork for free. Go to the opening receptions, and they sometimes offer free refreshments. The Ceramics, Graphic Design, Metals, Sculpture and Textiles Area Exhibition is on display now.

More info: www.indiana.edu/~sofa/

Jacobs School of Music Events

The Musical Arts Center offers world-class opera and ballet performances for prices as low as $25. Professional opera houses, such as The Metropolitan Opera in NYC, charge $65 for balcony seats. The Jacobs School of Music’s orchestras, soloists, choirs, chamber groups, bands and jazz ensembles all play free concerts at the MAC as well as other halls, such as Auer Hall and Ford-Crawford Hall in the Simon Music
Center and Recital Hall in Merrill Hall.

More info: http://music.indiana.edu/events/

AT THE IMU

Free Movies

Every week, the Indiana Memorial Union shows a different movie students can see for free just by showing their student ID.

“They offer movies that were box office hits that I either missed the first time or liked enough to see again,” freshman Dan Karell said.

This week, at 8 and 11 p.m. Thursday through Saturday, the IMU will show “The Changeling.” Students can take advantage of this opportunity to see Angelia Jolie’s Oscar-nominated performance.

More info: www.imu.indiana.edu

Improv

The show “Whose Line Is It Anyway?” is brought to life at IU by the numerous improv troupes for which Indiana is known.

To name a few, Awkward Silence Comedy performs at 9 p.m. every Thursday in the IMU, and information about Full Frontal Comedy’s shows can be found on the group’s Facebook page. The sketch comedy group All Sorts of Trouble for the Boy in the Bubble also brings on the laughs.

More info: www.facebook.com; search “Full Frontal Comedy” and “Awkward Silence Comedy.”

MISCELLANEOUS

Guest Lecturers

Take advantage of hearing, and possibly meeting, well-known guest speakers. For example, Stephen Sondheim, creator of the musical “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street,” is coming to speak along with NPR host Scott Simon at 8 p.m. April 30 at the IU Auditorium.

More info: http://www.iub.edu/~thtr/guests/bio/sondheim-simon.html

Dance at the SRSC

The Student Recreational Sports Center offers loads of group exercise classes, and unlike most gyms, the classes are free. One of the most popular New Year’s resolutions is to lose weight or stay in shape, so why not do it by learning jazz or hip-hop combinations with friends?

More info: http://www.iurecsports.org/visit