Saturday, Oct. 12

Men's tennis team returns to Bloomington with more experience

After competing against Florida Gulf Coast University and the University of Louisville in the Florida Gulf Coast Tournament, the IU men’s tennis team returns to Bloomington improved and more seasoned.

IU coach Randy Bloemendaal said the week-long tournament allowed the men to develop both as individuals and as a team.

“I’d love to stay out here for 10 weeks and do this, because you see guys improve so fast right in front of you when you’re doing things like this,” Bloemendaal said. “I don’t think it could have been better.”

Bloemendaal said freshman Will Kendall and sophomore Santiago Gruter had stand-out matches.

“I was very proud of those two guys,” he said. “It seemed like every day they were getting better and better.”

Gruter, a native of El Salvador, said the Florida heat did not bother him as much as it did most of his teammates.

“The first couple days were tough, trying to get used to the outdoor courts,” Gruter said. “I thought the week progressed really well.”

Bloemendaal said he was also impressed with freshman Jonathan Schroeder.
“He was a bubble guy for us all last semester,” Bloemendaal said. “Overall, he made the biggest jump this week.”

The team begins its indoor season at 9 a.m. Saturday at the IU Tennis Center against Eastern Kentucky University, the University of Toledo and Gardner-Webb University.

“The indoor season is a big challenge,” Gruter said. “We’re looking forward to that and just getting back into the routine.”