Tuesday, Oct. 1

Museum’s ‘Coffeehouse Nights’ features free music, food, drink

Visitors at the IU Art Museum silently contemplate the artwork in its stoic halls during the day, and in the early evening, the lights usually shut off as the museum closes.

But this month, the museum will stay open until 9 p.m. for Coffeehouse Nights, a series of three lively nights of coffee, art, dance and music.

From 7 to 9 p.m. on the first three Thursdays of this month, the museum will feature one of its three permanent gallery exhibits accompanied by live entertainment, including hula dancers, a harpist and a cappella singers. The IU Art Museum’s Angles Cafe and Gift Shop will offer free coffee tasting, and Bloomingfoods Market and Deli will supply free desserts.

“If you’ve never been to the art museum, this is a great way to get yourself acquainted with the museum,” said Joanna Davis, IU Art Museum manager of external relations.

The concept for Coffeehouse Nights began in September 2006. Emily Powell, IU Art Museum marketing and corporate sponsorship manager, said she wanted to host an event in September as a way to welcome back students and draw people into the museum.

Because the museum is open while students have classes, Powell said employees wanted to come up with a fun event with later hours so more people could attend.

The nights became such a success that the museum began hosting three-night series in January as well.
On Jan. 15, the museum will highlight the Gallery of Asia and the Ancient Western World with a harp music performance in the second floor gallery. Instead of playing in the main gallery, the performance will take place in the area where the artwork is displayed.

“We wanted to make looking at art a different experience,” Powell said.
On Jan. 22, the museum will feature the Gallery of the Art of the Western World with traditional English drinking songs on the first floor gallery. Graduate student Jedediah Allen is one of the vocalists singing that night and hopes the songs, written in Shakespearean English, will enhance visitors’ perspectives on the art.

Allen said he hopes spectators will leave with an appreciation for the ambience and that he thinks the songs will complement the artwork displayed.

On Jan. 29, the museum will showcase the Raymond and Laura Wielgus Gallery of the Arts of Africa, the South Pacific and the Americas with hula dancing and ukulele music on the third floor gallery.

Past performances include poetry and artwork from the “beat generation” as well as African drum music and artwork.

Previous Coffeehouse Nights have brought in a mixed group of students, faculty and community members who came to view and discuss artwork.

During a month of such frigid weather, Coffeehouse Nights also serve as a fun escape from cold winter nights.

“You can warm up with some coffee, eat some sweets and listen to some great music and look at the artwork,” Powell said.