Tuesday, Oct. 1

Predicting Michelle’s inaugural ball look

Inauguration day is finally here. A new era is about to start, but I am not talking about President-elect Barack Obama.

Although in his speech today he will likely be full of political statements, the inauguration will also be a night of fashion statements. Michelle Obama is the person on my mind.

A lot of us are wondering what the first lady will wear to the inaugural ball. What designer? What cut? What color?

I have some suggestions.

Michelle Obama is not your usual first lady. She is a tall, youthful-looking black woman, so dressing her 5-foot-11, slightly pear-shaped frame is all about balance.

Styling a biased-cut, or asymmetrical, gown will allude to her unconventional philosophies, but still look sophisticated and glamorous. I think a one-shouldered gown with detailing would work best and show off her toned arms.

A rich purple is my color choice, but the purple has to be of the right hue to compliment her caramel skin tone. It can’t be dark like a plum or as light as a lilac. Instead, a nice royal purple should do the trick.

Many designers such as Betsey Johnson are actually sketching red, white and blue ensembles. But let’s be serious. No one really needs to wrap herself in the flag to show off her patriotism.

Instead, Michelle Obama will most likely show her American pride by choosing an American designer to make her gown.

My guess for her designer is Maria Pinto. Haven’t heard of her? That’s the point.
Pinto is an up-and-coming designer, and her boutique is based in the Obamas’ hometown, Chicago.

Michelle Obama has favored many of Pinto’s designs throughout the election process, and I expect her to do the same today at the ball.

Although some of Michelle Obama’s outfits have been straight off the runway, others have been right off the rack from ordinary retailers. It would not be surprising for her to turn down a designer like Valentino or Versace in favor of someone local.

After all, the whole Obama campaign has been about change.

Still, I expect Michelle Obama to hold up some tradition and stick with a long gown. Yes, she has the legs, but going short might be a little too much change for America to handle.

Whichever gown Michelle Obama chooses, people will be talking. Look out, America; she could be your new fashion icon.