Tuesday, Oct. 1

Singer Ryan Cabrera jams at three sororities Sunday

Zach Hexum and Ryan Cabrera performed for several sorority  sisters of Sigma Delta Tau Sunday evening at the Sigma Delta Tau sorority house. The also performed at Delta Delta Delta and Alpha Epsilon Phi the same evening.

The dining room of Sigma Delta Tau became a concert venue Sunday night when singer Ryan Cabrera performed for the sorority. It was his last stop of the day after performing for other sororities, including Alpha Epsilon Phi and Delta
Delta Delta.

“I am so excited; I cannot believe it,” said sophomore SDT sister Michelle Ezrachie before Cabrera entered the room. “We’ve been listening to his music since last Sunday when we found out.”

Cabrera said the performances were to promote his show Monday night at The Bluebird. He said singing for sororities is reminiscent of how he marketed himself five years ago when his first album came out.

“I would go door to door at every sorority at every campus I played at,” Cabrera said. “Nobody knew who I was, but I would just be like, ‘Hey, I’m playing tonight, and I wanted to know if I could get everyone together. I want to sing you guys a song.’”

Cabrera said his self-promotional tactic was successful and got everyone out to the shows.

Sophomore SDT sister Leslie Gubitz said Cabrera’s people called the sorority to ask if Cabrera could perform at
the house.

“Of course we were all excited because we’re into his music,” Gubitz said. “It’s a privilege to have him come.”

Ezrachie said she did not think Cabrera’s appearance at SDT would actually happen.

“I thought they were kidding,” she said. “I didn’t realize he was really coming, but then we found out he was playing at The Bluebird and we got
really excited.”

Cabrera sang one song at SDT, “On the Way Down.” The show was supposed to be a surprise for the new women, who recently joined after recruitment.

But freshman SDT new-initiate Lisa Borowsky said she had a feeling Cabrera would
show up.

She also said she was happy Cabrera came and that the sorority could get a singer to perform at the house. Cabrera said he enjoys playing on college campuses because of the energetic vibes and the average age of the audience.

“Most of the shows that we do that are not colleges end up being a really young crowd,” Cabrera said. “Sometimes it’s fun to come here and get to play for people that are around my age, hang out and have a good time.”