Tuesday, Oct. 1

You’re in it, but do you appreciate it?

Entertainment is all around us. Cliche, right? But the statement is true nonetheless.

Whether it’s Mario Kart we’re playing or the Ray Lamontagne CD we’re listening to, we cannot help but be encompassed by the very essence of entertainment.  

From Shakespeare to “Gossip Girl,” entertainment is all part of our culture and creates the world around us.

Entertainment carries a power that changes emotions in people. No matter the the music we listen to, the books we read and the movies we watch, it all creates a sense that nothing else really can.

After seeing “Seven Pounds,” I walked out of the theater with a sense of melancholy and felt very lethargic.

However, after I watched an episode of “Family Guy” with my roommates, I had a sense of happiness and ease.

I am not trying to be philosophical or anything like that, but the point is plain and simple: Entertainment is an important aspect of life. We need to embrace all of it. Whether books, music or movies, it’s a part of our lives.

Even if one person does not like a certain genre of music, we should still appreciate it.
I don’t like country music. I hate video games. But I have learned to appreciate the meaning brought to people who do love Tim McGraw and Donkey Kong.

They are all art forms. They are all part of our society. They are all part of our lives.
We are not only consumers of entertainment; we help create it. We can carve our own ways into entertainment. YouTube and Postsecret are just two ways of doing this.

Entertainment is one of the most important aspects in a person’s life. It helps us build relationships with others and to define a unique way to live our lives.

Girls getting together to watch “Grey’s Anatomy” or Mozart’s “Moonlight Sonata” creating the ambience of a candlelight dinner – it all creates a mood, a setting and a way to bond with the people around us.

So next time you sit down to watch “Entourage” or pop in the new Britney Spears album, make sure you live in the entertainment. Breathe in it. Eat in it. And most of all, enjoy it.