Tuesday, Oct. 1

1st Walk of the year features a wide range of exhibits

Balloons marked the entrance of the eight participating galleries for the first Gallery Walk of the year on Feb. 6.

While members of the community ate finger foods provided by the galleries, they viewed new exhibits chosen months in advance.

Two photographers opened special exhibits at the pictura gallery.

Martha Moore, co-owner of pictura gallery, said photographers Richard Koenig and Justin Chase Lane are both constructionists who build their own sets, take photographs and tear the sets down.

“The exhibits are very cool because the images no longer exist after the pictures are taken,” she said. “There’s a story there. It’s very imaginary.”

After attending the Gallery Walk, Bloomington resident Donnamarie English said she would be back again. English said she thought Justin’s concepts from his pictura gallery exhibit were more psychological, while Richard’s had a different perception.

Each gallery featured art from veteran artists and new works by artists emerging on the scene.

Joanne Shank, a co-op member at the Bellevue Gallery, showcased her work at the By Hand Gallery. Her two-titled exhibit “Season on the Wing” and/or “Time Flies” featured paintings of various birds in their natural environment.

“I’m captivated by the looseness and accuracy in birds,” she said. “If you work on the bird too long, it won’t fly. I try to use the least amount of brushstrokes. It takes practice.”

A newcomer to the scene, IU senior James E. Cummings displayed his work as one of four photographers featured in the Gay Lesbian Bisexual Trangender Exhibit at the Wandering Turtle Art Gallery. After seeing an advertisement for the exhibit, Cummings sent owner Jamie Sweany a disk of his work, he said.

“It’s exciting for me,” Cummings said. “There’s a great turnout. I’m really happy with the comments I’ve been hearing.”

Cummings said the exhibit was a great choice for the gallery’s reopening because of last weekend’s Pride Film Festival and the upcoming Midwest Bisexual Lesbian Gay Transgender Ally College Conference.

“It draws attention to the gallery,” he said. “It’s about accepting all qualities of life.”

Patty Cole, a resident of Bedford who attends almost every Gallery Walk, said she was glad to see the GLBT exhibit because it was something out of the ordinary.

“It’s something that should be seen,” she said. “It’s part of the community.”