Friday, Oct. 11

Around sports

Women’s Golf

Nochta wins individual title in Puerto Rico

Battling through wind and rain, junior Laura Nochta shot a tournament-low 219 (72-74-73) to tie for first place in the Lady Puerto Rico Classic in Rio Grande, Puerto Rico. 

IU coach Clint Wallman said Nochta was “rock steady,” and the victory will not be an isolated event.

Nochta shared the title with the defending Big Ten champion, Purdue’s Maria Hernandez. 

“This is just a glimpse of what she can accomplish,” Wallman said.

The Hoosiers shot a 937 (318-311-308) and finished 14th out of 16 teams. Wallman said the theme of the tournament was shaky starts.

“You can start off having one bad hole,” Wallman said, “and you wind up with a tough overall score.”

Junior Anita Gahir finished 47th with a 237 (83-77-77), junior Kellye Belcher tied for 56th with a 239 (83-77-79), senior Amber Lindgren tied for 69th with a 242 (80-83-79) and sophomore Cecilia Orevik finished 87th with a 256 (84-88-84).

Wallman said the team’s struggles were not due to lack of desire.

“We are a very competitive group, and we just did not have our best outing,” said Wallman. “That can be tough to deal with.”
– By Ryan Winn

Men’s Golf

Campillo gets Hogan nod

IU senior golfer Jorge Campillo was named to the Ben Hogan Award Watch List, the Golf Coaches Association of America announced Tuesday.

The Hogan is one of collegiate golf’s finest honors and is annually given to the best amateur collegiate golfer regardless of his division.

Campillo was one of 22 players named to the list. Last year’s winner, Rickie Fowler of Oklahoma State, was also named.

The list will be trimmed to semifinalists April 16 and to finalists May 7. The award will be presented at a banquet in Fort Worth, Texas on May 22.

The World Amateur Golf Rankings slots Campillo at No. 2 in their latest rankings, the highest of any golfer named to the Hogan watch list.
– From IDS Reports

Track and Field 

Coover gets 2nd weekly award

The awards are coming in at a furious pace for Jeff Coover.

The senior pole-vaulter picked up his second straight Big Ten Field Athlete of the Week award following his victory at the Meyo Invitational in South Bend last weekend.

IU coach Ron Helmer said he was pleased with Coover’s strong performances.

“It is a great honor for Jeff to be named Big Ten Field Athlete of the Week for a second time this season,” Helmer said in a statement. “Consistency is the key to success, and consistent performance at a high level creates champions.”

Coover and the rest of the Hoosiers return to action this weekend for their first split-squad meet of the season when they compete in both the Hoosier Hills at home and the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Ark.
– By Ari Shifron