Tuesday, Oct. 1

Boxcar makes it 7 years

Bloomington High School North senior Dylan Galyan-Wilkerson looks on as Harmony High School senior Izzy Jarvis talks to coordinator Steven Stothard at Boxcar Books Saturday evening. Boxcar Books celebrated its seventh anniversary Saturday with a two-hour open house and a raffle.

A sign in the foyer that said “Seven Years and Going Strong” welcomed customers into Boxcar Books on Feb. 7. People were scattered throughout the store, listening to music and scanning book covers.

Some were there to celebrate the bookstore’s seventh anniversary, while others were newcomers.

“I kind of want to come back a lot now,” said first-time shopper Emily Cohen as she looked through the titles in the sex education section.

A meeting room in the back was filled with food and beverages provided by other local businesses.

“Some volunteers made treats,” Co-General Coordinator Steven Stothard said. “Others were donated by the (Scholar’s Inn) Bakehouse and Bloomingfoods.”

With a beer in his hand and a smile on his face, George Fisch from Indianapolis discussed Kurt Vonnegut with fellow customers on the porch.

“This was a wonderful chance to get out of Indy,” Fisch said. “I’m glad to see it; it’s an excellent bookstore.”

IU student Lori Hall-Araujo said she enjoys being engaged in the community. “I wanted to get involved instead of fly through like other college students,” she said.

Hall-Araujo said she thinks the new location and the increased stock of textbooks has really helped the store..

As the party wound down, some people were still wandering through the rooms and finding places on the floor to read.

“It’s super homey,” Cohen said. ”It feels really warm and welcoming.”