Tuesday, Oct. 1

Campus Super Star first round pass, next round to be 'intense'

More than 55 Indiana college students auditioned in hopes of winning $5,000 and becoming the next Campus Super Star on Sunday.

Campus Super Star is a large-scale fundraiser for the Helene G. Simon Hillel Center and provides the opportunity for aspiring musicians to showcase their talent.

“This gives people a jump-start that they wouldn’t have otherwise gotten,” said Hillel Assistant Director Leah Aft.

Aft said the first round went well and this year’s talent is better than previous years.

“It’ll definitely be more intense,” she said.

Past winners have gone on to do great things, Aft said.

2005 winner Stephani Parker went on to win the Chicago Idol competition and later was signed with the GOOD Music record label, which is owned by rapper Kanye West. On the Campus Super Star Web site, Parker credits Campus Super Star to getting her where she is today.

Any student attending a university or college in Indiana is eligible.

The next set of auditions will take place at the Jewish Community Center in Indianapolis on March 25. Up to 34 semi-finalists will be chosen from both the Bloomington and Indianapolis auditions to compete in a semi-final competition at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater on March 25.

From there, 10 finalists will be chosen to compete at the finals April 19 at the Madame Walker Theatre Center in Indianapolis.

The grand prize winner will receive $5,000 plus an hour of recording time with Bloomington Recording Co., among other prizes.

Contestants are not the only ones benefiting from the competition. Allison Shipper, Hillel’s co-fundraising and development chairperson and Campus Super Star committee member, said the event opened some doors for her as well,

“It really has given me a chance to meet new people and discover new parts of Bloomington that I otherwise wouldn’t have,” she said.

Hillel’s Engagement Associate Carlie Weisbrod is encouraging anyone interested in auditioning to still try out.

“I think it’s a good opportunity for students to get exposure, and if I were a student, I’d take advantage of that,” she said.

Anyone looking for more information about the event can go to Indianacss.com.