Monday, Sept. 30

Fashion myths revealed

On the way to class, you see a cute guy approaching. Of course, you take a quick glance over his outfit to make sure he is well dressed before making your move.

He is wearing a striped, button-down shirt paired with a casual blazer. He strategically has his collar unbuttoned and shirt untucked, being careful not to look too high maintenance. As your eyes move downward, you notice his choice of slightly faded blue jeans.

The guy’s got style.

As you get closer, you catch sight of his shoes and see his white socks emerging from his black sandals. You decide to pass him up and continue on your way.

Whoever said socks and sandals could coexist on the same feet was seriously mistaken. It is complete fashion fiction.

This fashion faux pas might be a little obvious, but a few other fashion myths need to be busted right now.

FICTION: Never mix patterns within one outfit.

There is a great misconception among people that mixing patterns makes an outfit look too busy. On the contrary – it can actually complete a look when done correctly.

The trick to mixing patterns is scale and color. One pattern should clearly be dominant, and both need to be of the same value. Perhaps the simplest example of this can be seen in menswear. A guy can wear a striped, oxford shirt with a boldly patterned tie, but only if both pieces are of the same color family.

FACT: Heels make girls look thinner.

It’s hard to believe that an accessory that goes on your feet can actually change your whole body. It sounds like a myth, but it is true. Wearing heels changes a girl’s stance and makes her stand taller. This shift in the body elongates the legs and makes the calves look stronger. And let’s not forget: They make you taller.

FICTION: Fashion is all about trends.  

Sure, a big part of the fashion industry is based on the ever-changing styles, but that’s not what defines it. Fashion is about dressing your body type and finding your own sense of style. The real fashion icons are those who take risks rather than copy a style and look like everyone else. After all, when was the last time you looked up to someone wearing UGGs?

FACT Leggings are not a substitute for pants.

Girls, read carefully. No matter what shape or size you are, leggings are not flattering. You’re basically creating an unbalanced body shape and making yourself look top-heavy.

The only time leggings are appropriate is as a replacement for tights with a casual dress or long shirt.

However, it is a huge fashion myth to say that guys think it is “hot” when college girls let everything hang out by wearing a T-shirt and some spandex.

“I think there are some girls that can rock it and others that don’t,” freshman Dan Mehay said.

Some guys agree this is a sensitive subject, since IU girls have made leggings such a popular trend. I am going to take the extra step and say what everyone is thinking: Go home and put on some pants.

Don’t be too frazzled if some of my tips go against your style. Remember, they are only guidelines. Just be aware of what is fashionable versus what is over-the-top.