Tuesday, Oct. 1

IU alumni to read from works at political writing panel

For Samrat Upadhyay, a published writer who speaks one sentence to students might have a more transformative impact than an entire semester’s coursework.

In celebration of its 25-year anniversary, ArtsWeek is showcasing a panel titled “The Writer in the World” to accompany the theme of politics and the arts.

At 7:30 p.m. Thursday in the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center Grand Hall, four alumni of the creative writing program will read from their published works and then allow the audience to ask questions.

“Inspiring writers and students can expect to learn what decisions these writers made in terms of word choices, language and style,” Upadhyay said.

ArtsWeek’s theme coincides with the 2008 election, and its events focus on politics expressed in artistic forms.

ArtsWeek Coordinator Sherry Knighton-Schwandt said “The Writer in the World” is thought-provoking.

“By it being an election year, ArtsWeek wanted to display how politics has captured artistic expression,” Knighton-Schwandt said.

Upadhyay, director of the creative writing program and creator of the panel, said it will be entertaining with vibrant young writers whose works are versatile.

Each author’s writings explore political turmoil and identity in a diverse range of areas. The panel consists of poets, fiction writers, short story writers and novelists. Their collection of works includes research and writings on topics such as war; political turmoil in the Middle East, Africa and the United States and social change and ethnicity.

“To hear real writers talk about their works and struggles is very important,” Upadhyay said.

“The Writer in the World,” co-sponsored by the Office of Multicultural Initiatives, was chosen by an ArtsWeek sub-committee and won a grant for $2,500 to fund the event. Knighton-Schwandt said the proposal intrigued them, which is one of the reasons it
was selected.

“The audience should expect real diversity,” Knighton-Schwandt said of the panel.
Mitchell L.H. Douglas is a poet and assistant professor of creative writing at IU-Purdue University Indianapolis. His debut collection was “Cooling Board: A Long Playing Poem.” His poetry has been published in a number of anthologies and journals.

Writing under the pseudonym of N.S. Koenings, the second panelist authored the highly acclaimed novel “The Blue Taxi,” and her short story collection “Theft” was published in 2006.

“Ask for a Convertible” was Danit Brown’s debut book. She is an assistant professor of English at Albion College. Brown’s stories have appeared in many publications including Story, Glimmer Train, StoryQuarterly and One Story.

Philip Metres is a poet and translator of Russian poetry. He has written several books including “To See the Earth,” “Instants” and “Primer for Non-Native Speakers.” Metres is an associate professor of English at John Carroll University.

“When writing from their own experiences and its coming from their heart and soul,” Knighton-Schwandt said, “and sharing that with the audience, the audience can vividly see how that experience has changed that person.”