Tuesday, Oct. 1

Local photographer shows new work at Monroe Bank

People scuttled out of the slush and wind Thursday night into the warm Monroe Bank Art Gallery for local photographer William E. Bennett’s new exhibit reception.

Inside, bank tellers and management greeted the lobby filled with people of varying ages who chatted about the photographs on display.

Monroe Bank on Kirkwood Avenue has served as a local outlet for artists to show their work for the last couple of years.

This week, the bank started exhibiting work by Bennett, one of its own employees. Bennett is a Bloomington resident and freelance photographer.

His exhibit is titled “Incredible Journeys: A Photographic Odyssey by William E. Bennett,” and includes almost 60 pieces. Bennett’s work will be exhibited until mid-May at the bank.

Ten years ago, Bennett began a checking account program at the bank called Prime Time, which also allows participants to take six to eight trips a year. Bennett’s job has allowed him to combine his two passions: traveling around the world and photography.

“One has allowed the other to grow; they’ve fueled one another,” he said.

The pictures taken on these trips are in the new exhibit.

Visitors traversed the office, going behind teller windows and into private offices to examine the photographs displayed inside.

Some spaces displayed photos of the same theme – one office held pictures of waterfalls and another of polar bears.

Heather MacDonald, from Toronto, was visiting her family in Bloomington when they suggested attending the event. She said she especially liked the polar bear pictures and other photos that were taken in her native country.

“I immediately fell in love,” she said. “It warmed my heart.”

Many attendees were local residents interested in the new art exhibit.

“I always like to see the art here,” said Susan Welsand, a Bloomington entrepreneur. “It’s always totally different.”  

Welsand said she attends the exhibits because she enjoys experiencing new art, she said, but also because she appreciates the personal touch the bank offers to the community.  

“I have a healthy respect for the bank,” she said.

Other individuals attending the exhibit had a more personal tie to the artist and the art.
James Haverstock, a local photographer and member of the Bloomington Photography Club, said he enjoyed Bennett’s pictures.

“Every photo is a vision,” he said. “He has an incredible sense of light.”

In addition to freelance photography, Bennett is also involved in the photography club.
He is an active member of the quickly growing group, acting as board member and mentor, teaching focus groups in landscape, architecture, wildlife and nature photography.

“Most towns our size have 10 or 12 members,” said Beth Woottou, another member of the club who attended the exhibit. “We have 150 due-paying members. There’s a lot of expertise here.”