Tuesday, Oct. 1

Music business panelists stress networking

A panel discussion on music industry jobs Wednesday night offered firsthand advice from music industry professionals to students interested in breaking into the business.

The event was sponsored by the Business Careers in Entertainment Club. Speakers included Dan Kemer of concert promotions giant Live Nation, Dave Weissman of marketing and publicity agency Musical Earth and Jon Coombs of local indie record labels Secretly Canadian, Jagjaguwar and Dead Oceans.

Though each panel member told a different story about how he got to where he is today, they all had two pieces of advice in common: Network as much as possible, and work your way up from the bottom.

“Your best bet is who you know,” Weissman said. “Doors aren’t wide open in this industry.”

Each panelist advocated getting involved in the music industry as early as possible and at a low level. Weissman and Coombs, both IU graduates, spent their four years in college involved with WIUX, IU’s student radio station, and all of the panelists interned at smaller companies before moving on to more substantial jobs.

Coombs, who interned at the labels before landing a job, said interning and working for a smaller company can offer more opportunities and a chance to get more direct experience before moving on to something bigger.

“With a smaller company, you can get a more varied internship and come out learning more,” Coombs said.

Getting involved early also helps with developing an extensive rolodex, something every panelist stressed time and again.

Kemer, now vice president of booking and marketing at the world’s largest live music promoter, started small by booking and promoting cover bands at small venues. He said his humble beginnings continue to help him even to this day.

“Some of the best contacts I have today are the people who saw me doing whatever it took to get the job done,” Kemer said.