Tuesday, Oct. 1

Music industry pros to give tips in panel

The Business Careers in Entertainment Club will play host to a panel discussion for students interested in music industry careers at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Kelley School of Business room BU219.

The event is free and will feature IU alumnus Jon Coombs of local indie record label Secretly Canadian, Dan Kemer of worldwide concert promotions company Live Nation, and Dave Weissman of marketing and promotions agency Musical Earth.

“We want to get people knowledge of the industry, help with networking and get people excited about the music industry,” said Deuce Thevenow, co-chairman and co-director of music for the club.

Students can take part in a short question-and-answer session after each guest discusses how and why he got into the industry.

“The only way to get in is if you know someone,” Thevenow said.

Secretly Canadian offers work opportunities for students, and Kemer said Live Nation offers between five and eight internships each summer.

Musical Earth does not offer such internships, but Weissman, an IU alumnus and the company’s founder, said he hopes to inspire students with the story of his own success.

“I’m just a catalyst,” Weissman said. “I’m not trying to hold anyone’s hand, but I would like to tell everyone my story.”

The Business Careers in Entertainment Club is currently planning at least one more panel discussion and two or three concerts for this spring, Thevenow said.

Weissman said he plans to involve the club in his company’s promotional campaign for the Minnesota-based music festival 10,000 Lakes Festival to give club members hands-on experience.

He said he advises students to get involved in the club and to ask as many questions about getting involved in the industry as they can.

“You need to put out the energy to try to get yourself in this industry,” Weissman said. “That’s how I’m able to continue to pay my bills.”