Saturday, Sept. 21

Officials: Obama OKs more Afghanistan troops

In this file photo, date unknown, made by the U.S. Department of Defense and obtained by thememoryhole.org, flag-draped coffins of U.S .war casualties are seen aboard a cargo plane in Dover, Del. President Barack Obama said Feb. 9 that his administration is reviewing a policy that bans the media from photographing flag-draped coffins of fallen U.S. soldiers. The president says his advisers are discussing with the Defense Department the prohibition on pictures of coffins returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.

WASHINGTON – Defense and congressional officials say President Barack Obama has approved an increase in U.S. forces for the flagging war in Afghanistan.

The Obama administration is expected to announce on Tuesday or Wednesday that it will send one additional Army brigade and an unknown number of Marines to Afghanistan this spring. One official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the total is about 17,000 troops.

That would be the first installment on a larger influx of U.S. forces that have been widely expected this year. It would get a few thousand troops in place in time for the increase in fighting that usually comes with warmer weather and ahead of national elections this summer.