Tuesday, Oct. 1

Valentine’s day dance raises heart disease awareness

Pre-law fraternity will host event to benefit American Heart Association

The theme is red, the attire semi-formal and dancing will surely ensue at the Phi Alpha Delta pre-law fraternity Valentine’s Day dance.

Phi Alpha Delta will host its first Valentine’s day dance Friday in the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center. All proceeds will be donated to the American Heart Association to raise awareness for their cause.    

Since February is Heart Disease Awareness Month, Phi Alpha Delta wants to raise awareness for one of the top killers in America, said sophomore Elizabeth Zabel, member of Phi Alpha Delta. The American Heart Association has local chapters in Indiana and more awareness is needed on the topic, she said.

Besides dancing, there will be gift giveaways, food and even old-school-style prom photographs available.

“Think new and improved high school dance,” junior Aaron Biggs, executive chair for the philanthropy committee, said. Since the attire for the dance is semi-formal, it’s a chance to get out some of those dress clothes from the back of the closet.

“It’s not formal, but we want it to be more on the dressier side in the spirit of Valentine’s Day,” member and sophomore Yelena Cheskidova said.

The dance is also a way to raise awareness for Phi Alpha Delta.

“The fraternity would like to connect more students and establish professional connections,” Biggs said. “The fraternity’s main focus is not just on law.”

Phi Alpha Delta sees itself more as a social network than simply a pre-law fraternity.

They hope to get students involved and offer opportunities for students to volunteer and be an active part in their community, Biggs said.

“It offers students the opportunity to explore their interests and make a decision about pursuing law in the future,” Biggs said.

The fraternity is a law organization, but they are trying to offer more to students with an interest in the discipline.

“Even though it is a Friday night, this is something to do alone or with a group of friends for a really good cause,” Zabel said.